Forum Denmark



Community of expats Denmark: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.
  Register  -  Login  - FAQ
  Advanced search  - Search the whole website
 User's Charter
Language:
 
 

 Is it easier to marry in Denmark? (Non EU + EU)

Forum الدنمارك, Dänemark, Dinamarca, Danemark, Δανία, デンマーク, Danimarca, Denemarken, Dania, Dinamarca, Дания, 丹麦, 丹麥: الدنمارك, Dänemark, Dinamarca, Danemark, Δανία, デンマーク, Danimarca, Denemarken, Dania, Dinamarca, Дания, 丹麦, 丹麥

Is it easier to marry in Denmark? (Non EU + EU)

Postby angsted1 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:56 am

Hi! My boyfriend (German) and I (Indian) want to get married this year ... however getting married in Germany seems to be a big hassle as they require an enormous amount to paperwork to be done beforehand (looks like it can take 4-5 months before we are legally allowed to marry). I have heard that it is far easier to get married in Denmark. Why is that so? What kind of paperwork can we circumvent?
Is it only easier to get married in Denmark with all problems cropping up only after marriage (proving that the marriage was legitimate, etc.)?
I would really appreciate your advice on this matter! THANK YOU!

angsted1
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:49 am
Gender: None specified

Re: Is it easier to marry in Denmark? (Non EU + EU)

Postby EasyExpat » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:46 am

angsted1 wrote:Is it only easier to get married in Denmark with all problems cropping up only after marriage (proving that the marriage was legitimate, etc.)?

The law in Danmark is not that different from the law in Germany, and at the end you will have a EU citizenship. I do not understand what are the problems that you are talking above :roll:
User avatar
EasyExpat
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6332
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:11 am
City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Gender: None specified
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Français

problems

Postby angsted1 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:10 pm

There are many problems associated with marrying in Germany ... particularly getting a certificate if marriageability (and a proof of current address in my case) -
I am non-resident Indian (NRI) so although I hold Indian nationality I don't live there. So getting a "Certificate of Marriageability" or an affidavit to the same purpose from the local sarpanch (akin to a mayor) in the area I am supposed to be registered in is a huge problem. Official registration practices for NRIs in India are quite mysterious.
Another less bothersome problem is that after this month (my studies come to an end), I will be jumping between countries on visas (looking for jobs) and therefore I don't really have an official address to provide to the state which they require ... so I'm hampered by this as well.

I really don't know what to do as a result and no real help is provided from the German Standesamts (they don't really know how to deal with such complex situations).

I have heard that marrying in Denmark is far easier because you only need to provide a Birth Certificate, a passport and live in the country for 2 weeks in order to get married. Is this true? If so, it would be a dream come true ... planning a marriage wouldn't have to be such a huge ordeal then!

angsted1
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:49 am
Gender: None specified

Re: problems

Postby EasyExpat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:37 pm

angsted1 wrote:I have heard that marrying in Denmark is far easier because you only need to provide a Birth Certificate, a passport and live in the country for 2 weeks in order to get married. Is this true? If so, it would be a dream come true ... planning a marriage wouldn't have to be such a huge ordeal then!

I do not know about Denmark. Why don't you ask at the Danish consulate? I know that in England you just need to live in the country for 7 days before to get married (there is a discussion :arrow: here).

Edit Sun Feb 13, 2005: I just saw that the rules have changed since the 1st of February 2005.


From 1 February 2005, people who are subject to immigration control who wish to marry in the United Kingdom (UK) must either:

- Hold entry clearance as a fiancé/e or marriage visitor, or
- Hold a Home Office certificate of approval, or
- Be a person with settled status in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain)

- People who are subject to immigration control will also be required to give notice to marry to a registrar at one of 76 designated register offices in England and Wales.

All the information is here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/
Last edited by EasyExpat on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
EasyExpat
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6332
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:11 am
City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Gender: None specified
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Français

Postby Chichi » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:20 am

Hi There,
there was a report once on TV about weddings in Denmark. It is indeed easier to get married there and you do not need all those papers that they require in other countries.

Many EU citizens who would like to marry non Eu go there to get married and it seemed quite uncomplicated.

I am married with a German Guy (I am French) and we got married in France. It was a real pain in the ... to gather the paperwork needed from the German Administration! We were living in London at that time and I can imagine how complicated it is for you as a non-EU.

Well I wish you good luck!

Chichi

Chichi
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:10 am
City: Germany
Gender: None specified

Re: problems

Postby Coyan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:03 am

angsted1 wrote:There are many problems associated with marrying in Germany ... particularly getting a certificate if marriageability (and a proof of current address in my case) -
I am non-resident Indian (NRI) so although I hold Indian nationality I don't live there. So getting a "Certificate of Marriageability" or an affidavit to the same purpose from the local sarpanch (akin to a mayor) in the area I am supposed to be registered in is a huge problem. Official registration practices for NRIs in India are quite mysterious.
Another less bothersome problem is that after this month (my studies come to an end), I will be jumping between countries on visas (looking for jobs) and therefore I don't really have an official address to provide to the state which they require ... so I'm hampered by this as well.

I really don't know what to do as a result and no real help is provided from the German Standesamts (they don't really know how to deal with such complex situations).

I have heard that marrying in Denmark is far easier because you only need to provide a Birth Certificate, a passport and live in the country for 2 weeks in order to get married. Is this true? If so, it would be a dream come true ... planning a marriage wouldn't have to be such a huge ordeal then!




Hi Angst,

Yes, it is much easier to get married in Denmark. The best place for a quick marriage is the Tonder Kommune. Find here is their website with all the information you might need:

http://www.toender.dk/default.asp?mnu=78#engelsk

After the marriage remember to Legalise the Certificate at the Foreign Ministry to be acceptable to the German Authorities.

If you need some more information please contact me at :
coyan_law@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Coyan
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 am
City: Den Hague
Nationality: United Kingdom (gb)
Gender: None specified
Living in: Netherlands
Languages: English


Return to Denmark

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron

Recommended service partners Recommended Service Partners

Find flatmates
Find flatmates
Discover all EasyRoommate offers, search for a flatshare, advertise a room: go through the ads and enter your profile.

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to six quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move.

Hotels
Hotels
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.

Hostels and budget accommodation
Hostels and budget accommodation
Find a selection of youth, independent and backpacker hostels worldwide on our page.

 
Add this topic to your bookmarks on MyExpat Copyright EasyExpat Ltd © 2014. All rights reserved.

Look for more information with dotExpat network:
Blog Expat  -  EasyExpat Travel  -  Expert Expat  -  Expat News  -  Expat Quotes