Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Canadian-Pakistani: can we get married in the Uk?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Dia, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Dia

Dia New Member

City:
    Canada
    Hello there!
    my name is Dia Awan and I am a Canadian citizen. My fiance is a Pakistani resident but he is currently living in the UK as a student. We both wish to marry this december but there are few things i want to make sure before i even think of going to the Uk and getting married there.

Firstly I would like to know if we can get married in the Uk because as I mentioned before his status there is as a student. Do we both have to apply for the Approval of Marriage certificate in the UK?? Do I have to stay there for more than 6 months in order to marry him?? If not 6 months then how long does the whole process take? I'm student myself so i really want to know how long it takes to get married there because then I'd have to miss a semester or so from uni.
    If we want to have a religious ceremony--according to islamic law, do we stil need the approval of marriage?? would it cause me any trouble to sponsor him in the future.
    We both wish to live in the canada in the future so i realy want to know if i could sponsor him if i have a religious ceremony or do i have to get married according to the UK laws?? and also is it even possible for both of us to get married in the Uk because none of us holds the British nationality.
    I have tried searching different websites but i am so confused. I do not know what to do because I don want to end up in a situation where im left with no option. I was thinking to go there this december for two weeks to get married but then i got to know about this marriage approval thing which is bit confusing could u please help me?? We would have got married in canada but he can not get his visa because again he's a pakistani resident. Also is there a way whre i can take an aproval of marraige from Canada and get married in the UK?? Because it saves us time. Approvall of Marriage certificate and the whole process takes very long in the UK. I want to know how long the whole process takes.
    Secondly I would like to know even if its possible to get married in the UK. Or do we have to get it in Pakistan or canada?
    Please help me I'm really worried .
    Thank You Very Much.
    waiting for ur reply.
    Regards. Dia Awan

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Hello Dia
    I guess you are worried more than you should. You need to relax a bit because this marriage thing in UK is not so complicated or confusing as you think. Its pretty straight forward.

According to UK legislation, every non-EEA citizen must get a Certificate Of Approval before getting married here. As you both are not EU citizens so this rule applies to both of you. You both must apply for COA before you could get married in UK.
    Your boyfriend's being on a student visa in UK doesn't matter. He can still apply for COA and get married.

You just have to fill out the forms, ( you can download them from the Home Office website ) deposit the fee and send them alongwith your passports to Home Office. The process, according to Home Office in theory, may take from to 3 to 14 weeks but a few couples I know got it within a month. So if you plan to come to UK to get married, you should provide upto six weeks for getting COA to be on the safe side.

Coming for two weeks in December as you suggested is not a good idea, I would say. You can however, ask the Home Office
    ( you can also mention it while filling the form ) that you need to go back to Canada because you have studies there and so would need your passport urgently in which case they would return it quickly ( upto two weeks ) after confirming your identity. You don't have to stay in UK for six months in any case.

Once you have your COAs, you could decide the date of your marriage, go to the Registrar's office ( of the city where your boyfriend lives ) and 'give notice of marriage' which actually means that you book an appointment for marriage at the Registrar's office. You can't give a notice of earlier than 16 days. In other words, your marriage will take place within a month.

In the office, you will need to produce your passports, proof of addresses, photographs and of course COAs. Your boyfriend is already in UK so he must have his proof of address and he can also arrange one for you. I am sure he knows how to do it.

While booking the date, they will also ask you where do you want to marry, I mean the venue of marriage. If you are in a hurry or short of money ( i.e don't want a party in a hotel or wedding hall or something ) you can simply get married in the Registrar's office. This whole process will take between two to three months.

Islamic marriage ( i.e Nikah ) is not recognised as a legal marriage which means that it has no legal value in UK. ( You can definitely get married in a mosque though ). I don't know if Canadian law recognises it but if I were you, I wouldn't go for it because it might cause complications in future for example in case you need to sponsor your husband's trip to Canada.

I hope this information helps.
    Anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Good Luck

3. Dia

Dia New Member

City:
    Canada
    Hello.
    OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH , Yousafzai! Its a big help from your side once again thnx. You have explained me things into very much detail.
    Ijust want to know, you know how you said i can contact home office, do you have their contact number or anything?? because Now i'm taking 45 days off from my college. I'm leaving on the first week of November and coming back after christmas holidays-- I don think they'll be open during christmas/newyear holidays so thts y i'm leaving on the first week of November. Do you think it 'll be enough time?? because I' have exams on January 15th so i can't stay longer than that.
    Do you think I should let the home office people know in the UK before I leave Canada or what should i do?? Once I go there should i tell them then???
    will be waiting for your reply.
    once again thanks :)
    Regards.
    Dia Awan

4. Yousafzai

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Hello Dia
    Its my pleasure to be of any help to you.
    You can go to this link to find out the ways how you could contact
    Home Office

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/contac ... onenquries

and I would also suggest you read through this

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... artnership

However I would not suggest you try to contact Home Office from Canada because I am sure its going to make you stressed ( as they make everyone else ! ). The Home Office enquiry numbers are premium numbers which means expensive and they put you on hold to listen to some crap music for a long time. I am also not sure if these numbers could be called from abroad. I would suggest you ask your boyfriend to do it. He could also go to the local Law Centre or local Citizens Advice Bureau for free information regarding any matter.

You can however contact the British embassy/consulate nearest to you and see if they could give any information. You should also ( this is something I forgot to mention in my earlier post ) ask them if you need a visa/specific stamp on your passport because you are entering UK for the purpose of marriage. Citizens of some countries normally don't need a visa to enter UK but if its for marriage, then they do !

From first week of November to the day everything closes for Christmas holidays is definitely enough time for obtaining your COAs even though, to be realistic, getting married as well in the same period of time is going to be a bit hard. Still, there is no harm in giving a try.

I wish you best of luck.

5. Dia

Dia New Member

City:
    Canada
    Hey thnx A lot I read through it all. and yeah I came to know that I do need a visa in order to register my marriage in the UK. Even though I'm Canadian i still got to apply for the marriage visa , right??.
    Could you please guide me further, I want to know which visa should I apply for proposed civil partner or marriage visitor or civil partnership visitor visa?? I'm only going there to get married after tht I will be comming back to canada.
    Could you please also help me with how to apply for one of the visa's lisited above?

Thank You so much for your time. Your help means a lot to me :)
    Regards.
    Dia Awan

6. Yousafzai

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Hello there
    The type of visa you need is of course the 'visit for marriage' because 'civil partnership' is actually the name given to the marriage of gays and lesbians !!
    You should contact the British High Commission in Ottawa to find out how you could apply for it. You can also visit their web page which has some basic information of what you would need in order to get the visa.
    Here is their link

http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk ... 6750638169

Also remember that, after you get the 'visit for marriage' visa to come to UK, you will NOT need to obtain a COA for yourself. It will only be your boyfriend who will need it.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck

7. Dia

Dia New Member

City:
    Canada
    Hello.
    THank You So much for your help. I have applied for my passport this week. Will be getting it back within two weeks. I wanted to ask you if I need to be in the UK when my fiance applys for the COA? As you've told me earlier that If I apply for a marriage visa and go with it to the UK then I will not have to apply for the COA anymore.
    DOes that mean I can only go 16 days beore the Marriage registration?I don't have to be there when my fiance applys for the COA right?? I can just go after he gets it and register it (his COA and my marriage visa) and then get married?? I'm concerned about all this because I want to know exactly how much time i shouldd take off from my college.

I just want to know if i have to be there while my Fiance applys for the COA. Plz let me know AsAP.

Thank you very much.
    Regards.
    Dia Awan

8. Yousafzai

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Hello there
    No you don't need to be in the UK when your fiance applies for his COA.
    He would however need your photographs, attested copy of your passport alongwith, of course your immigration status i.e the visa that you would get from the British High Commission and you will also need to sign the form which he would send to the Home Office.

You can have a look at the form here

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... aapr07.pdf

and you should also read the guidance notes for making application for a COA here

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... eapr07.pdf

So, just to confirm it to you again ( because you seem too worried ! ) you DO NOT need to be in the UK for your fiance's COA.

I would suggest you just wait for your passport to come back alongwith the visa, get notarised copies of your passport and the sticker ( because Home Office will need to see that you are entitled to get married in UK once you arrive ), download the form from the link above, fill it and sign it, and get your passport sized photographs and send all this to your fiance who would then do the rest of stuff and send it to Home Office.

Once his COA comes back, you could then come to UK and go to the Registrar's Office.

Also, if you could provide some more information regarding your relationship i.e to prove that you both have a genuine relationship, it would be helpful for your fiance's application for COA. For example any pictures of you together, if you have visited him or he has visited you, copies if any such visas, hotel bookings, any letters or cards that you might have sent each other in the past, proof of any calls you have made to each other, print outs of any e-mails you both have sent each other etc. Some of these things might sound funny, but it does help !!

I hope this information helps.

Anymore questions, please ask.

Good luck

9. zeeshan12345

zeeshan12345 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, urdu
    Dear DIA....

I need to talk to you regarding your canada case.. because i have got the same case here.. Kindly contact to me by email....

elegantrider@hotmail.com

Thanks Alot