Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Applied For Leave To Remain

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Jdizzle, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Jdizzle

Jdizzle New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Nigerien (NG)
    Languages:
    English
    Hey guys i've read lots of very usefull information on this forum, very insightfull and thats helped a lot of people. I was just wondering if you guys could help me out as well with any information. Almost sounds cliche but I'm a Nigerian been Studying in England for the last 3 years, a year after i arrived in England I started dating a great gal and a year into the relationship call me stupid but i asked her to marry me, we got married earlier this year and i fig i should apply for a leave to remain, couple days ago recieved a response from the home office declining my application, stating her age (19, i'm 21) and the amount of time we were together ( 2.5 years) as reason why, they've given me a limited appeal requesting i provide another reason why i feel i should be granted the leave to remain. Incidentally during the application process my student visa (3 year visa, i moved to england in 07) ran out. I have consulted my lawyer but i was just wondering what you guys think. Thanks very much.

2. bigm1983

bigm1983 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    eng
    here is an advice LOOK UK HOME OFFICE WEB SITE BEFORE YOU SEND ANYTHING TO THEM.
    THEY ARE VERY STRICT THESE DAYS
    AND YOU CANT HAVE ILR SO EASILY
    YOU NEED 3-5 YRS MATE AND YOUR STUDENT STATUS IS NOT COUNTED IN

3. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I'm a bit confused why you did not apply for the Marriage Visa if you two are married. It appears you fit the requirements:
    Marriage Visa Requirements
    # The sponsor and the applicant must be legally married or in a civil partnership
    # They must have met each other
    # They must intend to live together
    # The applicant must be able to support him / herself, or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds
    # There must be adequate accommodation in place

It sounds like the ILR is usually received after obtaining a temporary visa (such as those who have successfully obtained the UK EEA Family Permit). Easy Expat's FAQ on departure clarify some of these different visas and requirements. http://www.easyexpat.com/en/faq/departure.htm. This form from the UK Home office might help you determine what exactly to apply for: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... orm/family

Are you currently in the UK without a visa? From what I understand, you may need to leave the country to pursue your case. Out of curiosity- what did your lawyer advise?

Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...