Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Am I a British Citizen?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by szakreski, Feb 25, 2006.

1. szakreski

szakreski New Member

City:
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I'm new on the list, so go easy if these are obvious questions...

I was born in England in 1953 to British naturalized parents and emmigrated to Canada in 1963. I became a Canadian citizen in 1970, and I have not renounced my British citizenship.

Am I still a British citizen?

If my children want to become British citizens, but still live in Canada for now, can they get British citizenship? Do they have to apply or is it automatic?

Did my wife become a British citizen when she married me? Does she have to apply or is it automatic?

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
  3. alphazip

alphazip Well-Known Member

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes, I agree, you remain a British citizen. You may also be a citizen of the country where your parents were originally from (depending on the country). Neither Britain nor Canada limit the number of citizenships you can have.

You need to apply to register your children as British citizens before they reach adulthood. You can look here for forms (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... ality.html) or inquire at the British High Commission in Ottawa.

Your wife does not qualify to be registered as a British citizen, but, as your spouse, can move to Britain with you and apply after several years of residence.