At Work in Brussels


Social Security in Brussels


Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Belgium > Brussels
Tools:


The classical social security system is shared between a scheme for employees and contractors and a scheme for civil servants.

This solidarity system is guaranteed as working people must pay a contribution in proportion related to their income. Unions, insurances and employer's organisation manage the system together.

The Belgian social security has 3 functions :

  1. In case ot salary loss (unemployment, retirement, disability) you will receive a pension;
  2. In case of some additional social needs, such as child education, sickness, you can get income benefits;
  3. In case of involuntary unemployment, you can receive an allowance and other benefits..

The standard social security system is made by 7 branches:

  1. Pensions;
  2. Unemployment;
  3. Safety (work accidents);
  4. Professional sickness and health at work;
  5. Family benefits;
  6. Disability insurance;
  7. Annual paid holidays.

If you have a professional activity in a company, this one has the obligation to be affiliated to the social insurance organisation of its choice.

The ID number is called NISS (numéro d'identification de la sécurité sociale). A card, named SIS, is given that holds the NISS number. The insured person will use the card in all the procedures with social security institutions, and with people in charge of making declarations to those organisations (employers, pension funds for example, and of course the insured person).

The ONSS (Office national de sécurité sociale) collects and pays the social contributions from the employers. Those contributions include the personal contributions of the employees and the share of the employers. In summary, the Belgian social contributions are shared such as the employee pays about 13% of his/her gross salary and the employer pays 25% (i.e. a total of 38%).

The Belgian Social Security website is http://www.socialsecurity.be and the website of the Federal Public Service is: http://www.securitesociale.fgov.be

Update 18/11/2005



Tools:

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Belgium and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.



Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.


Go to the Forum to talk more about social security in Brussels, at work.


Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).


Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon