Forum Shanghai

Forum of expats in Shanghai: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Renting an apartment in Shanghai as a student

Discussion in 'Shanghai' started by elhahaj, Jun 21, 2021.

1. elhahaj

elhahaj New Member

City:
    Vienna
    Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    German, English, French
    Hello everyone,

given the Covid situation eases, I will be doing a year-long student exchange at Tongji University Shanghai from February 2022-February 2023. Since we won't be able to use the university's dorms, I've been wondering what to put attention in terms of renting an apartment, possibly for ~4-5 people, when you're on an X2 student visa and therefore without a work contract. Do you need, for example, a guarantor or proof of income, or does the passport suffice?

I was also wondering which platforms are commonly used to get in touch with landlords directly (weChat?). And furthermore: is it to be reommend to use a real estate agency to find an affordable place (and to avoid scams)?

Another issue is whether the housing market in Shanghai is rather competitive or not. Is it an advantage or rather a disadvantage to be applying for an apartment as a western foreigner?

And lastly: most of us will be on a shoestring budget, so what is to be expected in terms of rental prices? It doesn't have to be the nicest apartment, but it would be great not to be too far off in the periphery.

I'm extremely thankful for any suggestions, tips, experiences :)

Thank you!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...