Forum Shanghai

Forum of expats in Shanghai: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Shanghai - End of March

Discussion in 'Shanghai' started by sunrpc, Jan 5, 2011.

1. sunrpc

sunrpc New Member

Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    French, English
    Hello all,

My company is sending me in Shanghai for a maximum of 3 years (should be 2 years in fact).
    I'll be moving there at the end of March. I'll be moving with my wife and we expect to have our first child coming in June.
    My office is located in the Shanghai World Financial Center (in Pudong).

I need some tips/info regarding a good place to live and some insight regarding the expenses:
    - where to leave (taking into account the place where I work)
    * What about Pudong, does not seem to be the most popular place chosen by expats.
    * I prefer modern buildings with all western comfort (a/c, internet, filtered water, ...)
    - type of lease (annual or 3 years)
    - monthly renting cost
    - renting fee (if any)
    - price of electricity, water and heating (every month)
    - cost of a relocation agency (is it useful to ask for their help)

Thank you for your help.
    I will see my HR admin next week to discuss about financial conditions. Any help before that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    SR.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Have you already checked out the easyexpat guide to Shanghai (http://www.easyexpat.com/en/shanghai.htm)? It offers advice on a lot of things you are looking for like accomadation:
    "The most popular districts for expatriates in Shanghai are Puxi and Pudong, where you will find a good selection of expatriate housing. Shanghai is divided by the Huangpu River and the names of these districts mean 'East' (Pudong) and 'West' (Puxi), referring to their position in relation to the river.

Puxi is the bustling 'downtown' area of Shanghai. It is ideal if you like to be close to bars, restaurants and shops, but more crowded than the east side of the river. Within Puxi, the following areas have proved popular with expatriates:

Hong Qiao area - located just 15-20 minutes from downtown Puxi, this popular areas benefits from excellent transport links, a selection of international schools in the vicinity and easy access to shops and other amenities. It was mainly developed in the 1990s and has a high expatriate population. It is a good choice if you prefer to rent a villa rather than an apartment, although prices reflect the area's convenience. Hong Qiao is an excellent choice for families, as many of the city's international schools are based in this area.
    Lu Wan, Jing An and Xu Hui areas - These central areas offer a plethora of large serviced apartments. Due to space limitations, you will not find villas to rent in the central areas. Expatriates choosing to live in the downtown areas will benefit from having most amenities within walking distance and better opportunities to integrate into the Chinese community.
    QingPu, Ming Hang, Xin Zhuang, Song Jiang and Zhudi town areas - these suburbs are located in the west and south west and are further from the city centre, but prices are consequently considerably lower. If you have school-age children, these areas are worth considering due to their proximity to international schools.
    Pudong is the more peaceful, green side of the river and is popular with people seeking quiet surroundings:

Jin Qiao area - Jin Qiao has become a new expatriate haven, with a good choice of high quality villas and apartments on offer. Many residents prefer the area to Hong Qiao due to its choice of leisure facilities and international schools. Those who hope to become more integrated into Chinese society may be disappointed; the area is rather lacking in Chinese culture and character
    Kang Qiao area - this area has expanded in recent years and benefits from its proximity to the British International School and Shanghai Community International School. Some parts of the area are close to industrialised zones, so it is not considered as attractive as neighbouring areas. "

Info on the lease can be found under accomadations as well (http://www.easyexpat.com/en/shanghai/ac ... e-flat.htm).

As far as a relocation company- here are some international movers to Shanghai:
    Raffles Movers: http://www.rafmover.com/
    JVK International Removers: http://www.jvkmovers.com/
    Links Relocations: http://www.linksrelo.com/
    Excess Baggage : http://www.excess-baggage.com/
    Allfreight : http://www.allfreight.co.uk/Moving_to_the_Far_East.html

Hopefully the guide helps. It also has info on schools, restaurants, and nightlife. Best of luck in your move.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gert

Gert New Member

City:
    Shanghai
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Dutch (NL)
    Languages:
    Nederlands, Deutsch, English, French
    Hi S.R., we are almost in a similar situation. I just moved to Shanghai and found a villa that we will rent as from next week. The prices in Pudong are high for an apartment. Around 20.000RMB per month is minimum if you want a 3 bedroom apartment in a good garden.
    We found a villa that is 13.500RMB per month and it is build in European style. 3 floors and enough rooms and a tiny bit outdoors, enough to have a BBQ.

If you would like to know more you can always contact me.

best regards,

Gert

4. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. singlestar

singlestar New Member

City:
    ningbo
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    Chinese (CN)
    Languages:
    Marian
    well, I could give you some advice about the economic description in Shanghai, the costs of living and accommodation are quite high.
    cost of living on a 1-bedroom apartment in city centre is about 7761 RMB while you could choose to live far from the city centre, however, it will takes you a lot of time in transport,
    For the salary, I would give the average salaries of teaching English in china as a comparison, teaching in international schools in Shanghai would get the salaries like followings:
    • Starting monthly salary¥18,975.15
    • Max monthly salary¥27,555.55
    • Average monthly salary¥23,513.43