Forum Netherlands

Forum of expats in the Netherlands: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN SIM in Netherlands

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by PaoloC, Jan 20, 2023.

1. PaoloC

PaoloC Member

City:
    Zwolle
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano English Espanol
    Hi everyone, I've just want to buy a prepaid SIM in Netherlands. In Italy or Spain all the calls included in the plan are not charged, even to other countries in EU. It seems it's not possible in Netherlands, am I right or wrong? Obviously I need to call mainly to my country, Italy.
    Any suggestion about a good company with customer service in english? Thanks

2. Jamie Ray

Jamie Ray Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,
    In theory, the free remote in the EU means that you can call any EU country (+the UK so far) when you are abroad. That means that if you are registered in Netherlands and you go to France, you can call numbers in Netherlands, or Italy or Spain... as part of your normal allowance.
    However, it works only when you go abroad. If you stay in the country where you number is registered, it can be different. If you are registered in Netherlands and want to call Italy you may be charged foreign number fees.

However, it depends of your mobile company. Some companies include in their bundle some minutes free of charge to call EU numbers. This is the case with Free in France for example, and Lebara in the UK.

You have Lebara in NL, and I just checked and they offer unlimited calling and texting to 44 countries for an additional €2.50/month (In the UK, Lebara offers 45 minutes free and charge after or you take an option). So it might be a good deal for you:
    https://mobile.lebara.com/nl/en/sim-only?duration=24&internetLimit=5&unlimited=true

Another trick is to get an Italian SIM (registered in Italy) and use it to call EU numbers when you are in the Netherlands (you might be limited to 2-3 months abroad, and of course fair usage, so not too much).

Or another alternative: use WhatsApp or similar Apps to call friends and family.

PaoloC likes this.
  3. PaoloC

PaoloC Member

City:
    Zwolle
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano English Espanol
    Thank you, of course I can use WSP, but if I need to call a office or an elder person as my grandma I can't. Thank you anyway