Forum South Africa

Forum of expats in South Africa: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Planning to move to Johannesburg - 2012

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by rahulchodha, May 16, 2012.

1. rahulchodha

rahulchodha New Member

Living In:
    India
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi Everyone,

Im planning to move from India to Johannesburg with my wife and have got a job offer in hand. There are couple of things would want to clarify before making a big decision on this. Please give a honest advise for I have long term plans on this.
    1. How much salary is decent to have a quality life(5 years of experience into IT business analyst) ?
    a. Also as per the industry norms what shall be expected salary to negotiate in case required
    2. What are monthly expense for 2 adults – rented accommodation 2 BHK, food and grocery, maintenance charges, transportation, health , tax, insurance, outings ?
    3. How safe is the place from crime aspects?
    4. Can dependent work over there in Johannesburg (as my wife is MBA finance)
    a. What type of work permit is required for this
    5. Which area is good to live any sub urbs
    Thanks in advance for this support
    Regards,
    Rahul

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chickenruby

chickenruby Member

City:
    pretoria
    Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi
    I can provide some information to the following questions

2. What are monthly expense for 2 adults – rented accommodation 2 BHK, food and grocery, maintenance charges, transportation, health , tax, insurance, outings ?

Accomodation for a two bed apartment in cluster housing, which usually consists of around 20-30 units is around R10,000 per month. The complex will have security, fences, gates etc and you'll have a fob key or finger print access. There is sometimes a communal pool and allocated parking.
    A security estate affords greater security and prices can range from R12,000 up to R55,000 per month, quite often situated around a golf course.
    Does your company provide a housing allowance, check with your contract, they will ususally cover 50% towards your medical aid costs. My son broke his arm and required surgery, total cost R15,000 yet a root canal costs R6,000.
    Cars are far greater in price to purchase here. An average car around 5 years old will be in excess of R100,000 Rand.
    There is no public transport here other than the Gautrain, which has limited stops.
    VAT on goods is 14%, Tax is dependent on your salary, up to 40%.
    Eating out and entertainment is relatively much cheaper (I'm from the UK) food is about the same cost, meat is much better quality and alcohol and tobacco is very cheap.

3. How safe is the place from crime aspects?
    I personally wouldn't live outside a security estate. I can drive alone and at night. Handbag on the floor under the drivers seat, non flashy vehicle (I drive a Jeep) I wear my jewrelly, but it's not expensive. The biggest piece of advice I've heard is not to argue, don't make eye contact and don't fight back. We've been here with 2 kids for 16 months and so far no issues. Avoid townships and routes nearby them at night time.

4. Can dependent work over there in Johannesburg (as my wife is MBA finance)

You'll need to check what the skills shortage is (updated in November) by visiting the government websites. At the moment it's chemical, mining and teaching science and maths. Don't come here expecting to be able to get employment. You'll need a job offer and that will dicatate the type of visa you can apply for.

5. Which area is good to live any sub urbs

I live in Centurion, relatively safer than Jo'burg, will depend on where you are working. Hubby travels to Edenvale daily. Lone Hill is a nice area as is Park view and Sandton but it will also depend if you want to commute by the Gautrain.

Hope some of this is of help to you.

Suzanne

4. rahulchodha

rahulchodha New Member

Living In:
    India
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english
    Thanks Suzanne, this really gives ground picture of things back in SA.
    I think I got some more questions to check on with my employer.

5. chickenruby

chickenruby Member

City:
    pretoria
    Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    If you want to read more I have a blog at chickenruby dot com it cronicles our time here starting from sept 10 re visas housing utilities good and bad things.
    I don't receive any payments for my blog it's our families personal account of being an expat.

6. rahulchodha

rahulchodha New Member

Living In:
    India
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english
    hey Suzanne,
    ur blog is mirror for reality and definately is something to be explored.
    But tell me honestly coming from UK to South Africa ( A transition), any strong motivation for this. As ppl aspire to go to the US, UK, CANADA for that matter.

Also street crimes ( i know happens anywhere and everywhere) but still how far is it safe for a female to live there and manage things on own if husband is away 40 miles to toher work place.

7. chickenruby

chickenruby Member

City:
    pretoria
    Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    So sorry, i was locked out by my IP address.

We had no desire to emigrate, hubby was asked to move to South Africa to sort out some issues and we thought 'why not?' its not even a country that was on my list for holidays.

Safety here is like any where I've been...when you're on holiday or you go into a city, you take extra care. Handbag under seat, slung round neck when out, dont where flashy jewrelly when out driving or shopping.

For example this week I have visited (on my own) a township to find a facility for a charity, I drove 40 miles north to a new area to visit another facility. I've been out at night to a new place to meet friends for coffee. I've driven all round today sorting out change of address etc.

2 months after arriving here, hubby was back in europe for 2 weeks, he is away on a regular basis leaving me alone with the 2 boys, i carry on as normal, but i dont go out at night if he is away.

Dont get me wrong it has taken me over a year to settle in and to feel safe here, but it does come.

8. rahulchodha

rahulchodha New Member

Living In:
    India
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english
    Thanks Suzanne for this again.
    So, few more quicj things:
    1. Have you shifted permanently to here or temporary for few years ?
    2. hows the job scenario for dependants as my wife would be looking for job (we dont have kids as of now :)
    3. how the average pay salary there in SA. I have 5 years of experience into role of business analyst and will be hired as business analyst over there as well ?

u been really helpful :)
    rahul

9. chickenruby

chickenruby Member

City:
    pretoria
    Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    I think I'm going to have charging you soon for my time lol.....

1. No idea how long we are here for, hubby has worked for the company for 27 years, no fixed time length contract.

2. Your wife would need to apply for a job before coming here and get a work visa, an inter company transfer is the quickest way of getting here, but they are issued for 2 years and a 2 year visa does give bigger problems such as a loan to buy a car has to repaid within the visa length and interest on loans here is 14%
    Trying to get employment when you are here is very difficult due to the BB-EEEE laws, there is lots of cash in hand payments going on here. I'm a qualified lecturer and experienced Child Welfare Officer, I can't get work, as I need to prove I am more qualified and experienced than any South African, which isn't the case. Your wife may be lucky, but assume she won't get employment.

3. Salaries are very different from the UK, For example a Primary Teachers job here pays less. Gardeners and Maids are paid R150 a day for between 6-8 hrs a day. Most jobs I've seen advertised depend on your experience and how you negioate in interview.

Seriously, keep them coming, happy to help.

Suzanne