Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to uk from Canada. Spouce visa

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Terrance, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Terrance

Terrance New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi I'm hoping someone can help me out, my wife and I would really like to move to England for a few years to live and work, my father is British so if I understand correctly I am a British citizen by decent and automatically able to live and work there I just have to apply for my passport. What I am unsure about is applying for a spouse visa for my wife. We have been married for six years living in Canada. If what I understand what I read correctly because we have been married for more then four years she can apply right away for indefinite leave to remain, but I am unsure of what exactly we need to prove as far as finances, I am self employed so I don't have any pay stubs, I am planning on having around 5000 pounds in the bank before we leave... Would that be enough to satisfy them? I have several relatives that have room for us to stay for a little while, while we find work and a place of our own.
    Thank you for any help anyone can provide

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    You need to get your passport first before you can apply for your wife's visa.

Yes you have heard correct. Your wife can apply for Indefinite Leave to remain as soon as she arrives in UK.

You will need documentary evidence that you have accomodation available plus present a budget of your expenses to convince the ECO that you have enough money for your expenses.

Good luck

3. claypearn

claypearn New Member

City:
    Toronto
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Terrence,

Writing from just outside Toronto here. I have to say, I'm jealous at how easy it is for you to get a visa for the UK. Here's a good page with info on the ancestry visa and if you scroll down to the bottom they have info on spousal visas and then a step-by-step guide on how to apply for those visas.

http://www.workgateways.com/working-uk- ... l#ancestry

Have a great time!