Forum London

Forum of expats in London: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to London

Discussion in 'London' started by 0, Mar 31, 2003.

1. 0

0 Guest

I would love to become an expat in London, but I'm totally daunted by the whole work permit thing. I would not leave my cushy job here in the US without a legitimate professional job in London, but I am wondering how plausible that really is. I am planning to go to grad school in London in 2004, but I would like to go there in September 2003 and work for a bit. Any advice or odds on this actually happening, or do I need to give this dream up?

2. 0

0 Guest

So basically you would like to come and work for 6 months before you go studying in London?
    For extra-european people, I must say that it's not very easy, but it's not more difficult than when you are not American and you want to work in the US.
    Usually you will have to find a company in Britain prior to come and apply for a job. If you've got an offer then you will have a work permit delivered. Of course you can come with a tourist visa or try a student visa (which is probably more suitable because you're planning some studies in 2004) and try to find a job in a pub, restaurant...etc. Not very well paid but hey, give you a taste of the country ;-) !

3. Nigel

Nigel New Member

City:
    Barcelona
    I recently completed a masrers in human resource development in Jamaica and would like to return to London to work. Is there jobs readily availble in this feild. What is the going salary like. Is there restrictions on Jamaican working in Britian

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    You can have a look at offers on London/Jobs.
    You will find information and examples on salaries.

I don't think that there is any restriction fro Jamaican people. However like all the non-EU, you will have to find the company and get the visa before you come.

[%sig%]