Forum Venezuela

Forum of expats in Venezuela: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Marriage license in Venezuela

Discussion in 'Venezuela' started by ErikJon, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ErikJon

ErikJon New Member

Living In:
    Venezuela
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English Spanish
    Hi there!

I am a U.S. citizen, and have been living in Barquisimeto, Venezuela, for a few years, but I am now ready to get married here, too. July 28th, God willing.

As usual, there are lots of contradictions from one office to the next, regarding just what the government requirements are for the marriage license, and every now and then, the government changes its rules anyway.

The local government agencies say that I need a "carta de soltería" with a wet, rubber-stamp apostille from the U.S. embassy, and my original birth certificate with the same. Nevertheless, the U.S. embassy website seems to say that they do not offer this service. In fact, they direct me to a Venezuelan government site, which, as one might expect, does not provide the information either, and hast plenty of dead links; in fact, two of the links from the U.S. Embassy to those sites were also dead.

Some of the information online seems to suggest that I get the apostille done in the U.S., especially since my birth certificate originates in Louisiana. Does that mean that I could bypass the issue of the Embassy?

Time is of the essence for me, and, although money is usually an issue, I would just as soon pay any rush fee required to get this over with as soon as possible, and might even bribe someone, if I knew where and how.

My questions, then, are these:

1. Should I mail by birth certificate off to an agency in the U.S. that offers rush apostille service, and have him mail it back to me?

2. If the apostille is done on a separate sheet, how in the world am I supposed to get a rubber-stamp version? And how is it attached?

3. Back home in the U.S. I tried to get a "carta de soltería" from the courthouse, and was told that no such thing existed. So, if I get a lawyer friend in Barquisimeto to make me one for each of us, how am I supposed to get the apostille? The U.S. Embassy claims that they do not legalize any documents that do not originate in the U.S. for use there.

Thanks so much for your patience and for your suggestions!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hmmm...looking into your question I found these requirements:

REQUIREMENTS FOR ALIEN TO GET MARRIED IN VENEZUELA

1. VALID PASSPORT (AT LEAST SIX MONTHS LEFT BEFORE EXPIRATION DATE).
    2. VISA TO ENTER TO VENEZUELA (TOURIST, BUSINESS, DIPLOMATY, COURTESY).
    3. BIRTH CERTIFICATE ISSUED FOR LOCAL AUTHORITIES (**)
    4. IRREFUTABLE PROOF OF MARITAL STATUS: (**)
    -SINGLE: PROOF THAT THE PERSON HAS NOT BEEN MARRIED BEFORE
    -DIVORCE: DIVORCE SENTENCE
    -WIDOW: SPOUSE’S DEATH CERTIFICATE

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS
    • THE REQUIREMENTS NO. 3 AND 4 MUST BE LEGALIZED BY A VENEZUELAN CONSULATE
    • WHEN THE REQUIRIMENTS SUBMITTED NEED TO BE RETURNED BY MAIL, PLEASE SEND US A CERTIFIED SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE OR THE INVOICE FORM FROM ANY COURIER COMPANY WITH THE ACCOUNT NUMBER OR CREDIT CARD.
    • FOR ANY OTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL US, MONDAY THRU FRIDAY FROM 9:00 a.m TO 1:30 p.m. NO SERVICE ON HOLIDAYS

(http://tramites.embavenez-us.org/pregun ... -venezuela)

I don't think that actually helps you out with the stamp you supposedly need from the US. Has anyone been married in Venezuela and have any tips?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ErikJon

ErikJon New Member

Living In:
    Venezuela
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English Spanish
    Dear Texkourgan,

Thank you for the helpful link! I had not found that one yet. You are very kind.

The venezuelan agencies here tend to contradict themselves regarding the requirements. Consequently, to clear things up even more, I would like to hear some feedback from any Americans out there who have recently got married to Venezuelans here in Venezuela. If anyone else has additional input, I will be grateful. I am still doing some research, and getting closer, I think.

4. iozha

iozha New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi ErikJon,
    I am a Canadian looking at getting married and staying on in Barquisimeto.
    My fiance stumbled over your post as we were looking for some clarifications ourselves with regards to the paperwork necessary for getting married in Venezuela.

How did things unfold with you? Did you get married?
    If yes, what did you find was their requirement re: proof that you are single?
    The Venezuelan embassy here in Canada told me I need to do a "marriage search", which i did. But Venezuelan Lawyer is saying I need a Declaration of Single status. I realize that things may differ for US and Canada, but nevertheless would appreciate any tips you might have for us.
    Thanks in advance and all best,
    Olga
    ps who knows, maybe we will run into each other in Barquisimeto!