Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN How can I move to France with significant other (unmarried)

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by irismuddy, Feb 9, 2015.

1. irismuddy

irismuddy New Member

City:
    Kirkland
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English, French, Romanian (basic), Spanish (basic)
    Hi, I'm really glad I found this forum... I'm close to giving up because of how difficult my search for information for the past 2 weeks has been, about how I can move to France with my significant other (unmarried). We want to move in July, 5 months from now. He is a French citizen, currently working and living in Quebec, and wants to move back.

I am a Canadien citizen with a canadian passport (living in the province of Quebec). I am also born in Romania but do not have citizenship or passport so I can't rely on that, and I have looked up information about acquiring dual citizenship but it seems very very complex...
    Everything I have found so far about living in France has seemed not accessible or applicable to us/me...

I do not wish to study there, nor do I know how to get hired in order to receive a work permit...
    If you do not have a job or family to visit, how can you get the long sejour?

I did most of my schooling in French. I read that this is not reliable to skip naturalization for citizenship anymore, though.

And the maximums always seem to be one year on any document I've seen, how does renewal work and can it ever really keep you there long enough to eventually become a citizen?

This is very very complicated, the more I look into it. I really thought it would be simpler. I found the documents about the quebec-france labour agreements too, but I am not exercising any of those professions, I am an illustrator/animator...

If anybody has any piece of information or experience to offer, please do...

2. samesamebutdifferent

City:
    Paris
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Espanol, Français
    Re: Total confusion and desperation

I don't know for Canada to France, but when you are French, you can stay in Canada for 6 months without a VISA. You can not work, but you can stay! maybe you have to go in the French Embassy to have all the information ;) good luck!

3. irismuddy

irismuddy New Member

City:
    Kirkland
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    Re: Total confusion and desperation

I can stay 90 days in France without a Visa according to what I've found but this is not really very useful... but thank you haha i will need the luck...

I'm looking into PVT... with no idea where I would actually be able to find work, but it seems the only possible option to stay and work and maybe renew to stay there... but it seems strange and impossible to me to be able to pile up the amount of time needed to get residence/citizenship, since i keep reading that the maximum is 12 months or 12 months + 6 months with the young professionals visa after the pvt... how do people stay longer??? if you go back to canada aren't you just back at square one???

4. irismuddy

irismuddy New Member

City:
    Kirkland
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    well, after reading a lot of things and realizing it wouldn't be a bad idea, we are thinking of the marriage option to speed up the naturalization for me. But I have to legally be allowed to stay for a while in France before that happens at all, from what I've read, and he has to be present in France for a few months before it happens.

Does anyone have more information about that?
    And apparently I won't be able to work for the whole two years until I get the residence sejour that lasts 10 years?