Forum Germany

Forum of expats in Germany: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Getting official copy of marriage certificate

Discussion in 'Germany' started by susano, Jun 7, 2010.

1. susano

susano Active Member

City:
    New York City
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi everyone,

I do not usually post in this forum as I am actually trying to prove my Polish citizenship. However, I am in a bind.

My grandparents, though Polish, were married in Germany in 1946 while they were in Displaced Persons camps. Five years later, they left Germany, arrived in the US and lived there permanently.

The problem I am running into is that I need to obtain an official/original marriage certificate. I actually have the very original certificate that was issued in 1946 but since it would be foolish to give up my only official record of their marriage I possess, I want to find a better way.

Has anyone been able to obtain an official marriage certificate of their relatives before? What process did you have to go through? Also, I am in NY so it would relatively easy to get to the consulate. Would they be able to issue me a legal certificate if I brought the original I have?

Thanks for your help!

2. Vanessa13

Vanessa13 New Member

City:
    New Matamoras
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Have no idea... their certificate is in Germany??

3. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Have you ever thought of going to a notary public to have copies made of the original certificate notarized? While I do not have the original certificate when my grandparents got married in Germany, I did get a notarized copy of it. I got my copy from Frau Erdt in Blaubeurin.
    If you know where the DP camp was located, try the nearest town Rathaus. They may be able to direct you to the correct office in order to get another copy that is notarized.