Tourism and Sightseeing in Madrid
As a capital city, Madrid offers a big variety of tourist attractions, places where to enjoy its gastronomy and all the facilities tourists need. Moreover, Madridtourist.info (not the official tourist board) have created a complete webpage to help you plan each your stay, whether you are more into culture, leisure, fine dining, nightlife or shopping.
In the following links you can download maps of Madrid with its main tourist attraction highlighted, an essential guide to enjoy the city, etc.
Attractions in Madrid
Madrid main sights can be easily explored on foot or by taking a fast subway. The 10 most famous spots and experiences that you cannot miss when visiting the city are:
- Get cultural in any of Madrid's Museums, such as: Museo del Prado or Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía
- Enjoy a bocadillo de Calamares en Plaza Mayor (traditional calamari sandwich in Madrid main square)
- See the sunset at Templo de Debod. This stunning Egyptian temple was given as a gift for the support that the Kingdom of Spain has shown in conserving and protecting temples in Egypt.
- Attend a Real Madrid C.F. or Atlético Madrid soccer match
- Stand at "Spain's km 0" sign at the "Gateway of the Sun (Puerta del Sol)" where an event on the 31st December takes place to welcome the New Year
- Visit Retiro Park (Parque de el retiro). Located east of centre Madrid, the park covers more than 300-acres. It was previously housed by Felipe IV's palace and his gardens. Nowadays, it is an extensive park of beautiful greenery filled with formal gardens, lakes, cafes, playgrounds and more.
- Join one of the biggest tennis competition in Spain at the Mutua Madrid Tennis Open
- Take a break at Mercado de San Miguel (San Miguel market). This old factory turned into a market is a must to visit when traveling to Madrid. You can buy yourself some wine, cocktails or coffee. As well as to get any kind of tapas as appetizer, have dinner in a meat stall or enjoy a fancy seafood meal. Mercado San Miguel opening hours are from 10am to 12am from Sunday to Wednesday. And from 10am to 2 am from Thursday to Saturday.
A complete guide of Madrid city landmarks can be found on the following Esmadrid.com link
Tours in Madrid
There are several travel agencies and tour companies that offer quality city tours or around the city and region. The most popular ones are:
- Madrid City Tours: http://www.madridcitytours.com/ The biggest city tour company in Madrid. They offer all kinds of tours; from bike to Segway tours, together with day trips to Toledo or Avila.
- Hop on - Hop off bus The famous double decker sightseeing city bus is also available in Madrid. It drives you to the most famous city landmarks in its different routes available.
- SANDEMAN's Europe and Freetour.com are the most famous free city tour companies in Europe
- Like a local guide: Experience the city with locals. This app allows you to discover the city with its citizens and in a budget. Each local advertises his/her tour and establishes a price. Get the one that fits you the most and get a private tour when in Madrid
- Getyourguide: This international tour searcher also offers tours and day trips departing from Madrid.
Festivals in Madrid
There are quite a lot of annual events worth knowing about before you move to Madrid.
The most attended ones are:
- Madrid Pride Week: Madrid is one of the most gay friendly cities in the world. In the end of June or begging of July, the residents and visitors come together to celebrate LGTB (lesbian, gay, transsexual and bisexual) Pride Week
- Mulafest: Mulafest is the biggest Festival of Trends and Urban Culture in Madrid. It includes street food, street workout, a garage section, rollerblading, parktour, skateboarding, BMX, 3D printing, art, urban circus, and concerts by leading electronic artists
- Mad Cool Festival: One the most important music festivals in Spain. In 2018, Pearl Jam, Franz Ferdinand, Massive Attack and Queens of Stone Age, among others, are going to perform on its stages.
- Download Festival: https://downloadfestival.es/ The most important rock festival in the UK lands in Madrid for the first time in 2018. Guns N' Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest and Marilyn Manson have already confirmed its performances
- Mercedes Benz Fashion Week: The biggest fashion event in Spain, which reunites the most important brands in its runways
- FITUR. Feria Internacional del Turismo: A global meeting point for tourism professionals and individuals wishing to plan their dreamt trip. The fair welcomes up to 9,893 exhibiting companies from 165 countries/regions, and 107,213 visitors from the general public
Discounts in Madrid
Madrid City Pass is the perfect option for those who wish to visit the city major museums and attractions.
Once purchased, the card offers FREE private transfer from the airport, a FREE "hop-on, hop-off" city bus tour and discounts for Madrid museums, sights and tours, as well as priority access with no queuing to the Prado Museum and the Real Madrid Stadium Tour.
What is included:
- Skip-the-line ticket for the Real Madrid Stadium Tour and Prado Museum
- Airport Private Taxi Transfer
- Free 24h Hop-On Hop-Off Bus ticket
- Discount (20%) on museums, including Madrid Art Walk
- Discount (20%) on Bike and Segway tours
- Discount (20%) on excursions, including Toledo
You can purchase your city card HERE
Babbel is an international success with millions of active subscribers and ranked as the world's #1 innovative company in education.
Learn and review on your own schedule: Mobile, tablet or desktop compatible, with lessons about 10-15 min.
Expert-made courses: Learn the basics or focus on topics like travel, culture, or business.
Start speaking right away: Learn to speak a new language naturally and conversationally.
Every learner is different: Each course is based on your native language and personal interests.
Remember everything: Babbel employs proven cognitive techniques that move new vocab to your long-term memory.
Refine your pronunciation: Practise speaking and improve your pronunciation with speech recognition technology.
Try Babbel for free today
Registration with Babbel is completely free of charge and the first lesson in every course is FREE to try (Depending on the language you choose, that's 30-80 free lessons!).
If you want full access to Babbel's courses, simply choose a subscription that works best for you. Buy with confidence: 20-day money back guarantee!