Find a Job in Budapest

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Budapest

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Hungary > Budapest

Job Hunting in Hungary

Even though the economy of Hungary has a high unemployment rate, there are still a few jobs available for expats. As expected, knowledge and experience with the Hungarian language is preferred when working in Hungary. The government is not very keen on giving foreigners jobs that their own citizens could complete. With that being said, the most popular job for expats is teaching English.

However, there are not many Hungarians who are highly experienced with jobs in the latest technology or in fields that demand a surplus of knowledge on the fluctuations of a market economy. Due to this, Westerners may be called on to lend their expertise in fields such as software engineering, power generation, environmental reclamation, marketing and advertising, computer graphics, and technical writing (in English).

The best way to find a job in Hungary is to network with people. Send out resumes and cover letters to businesses that do work overseas. Arrange to meet with an individual who has done work in Hungary or has connections overseas. Another tip is to see if businesses based in your home country has a sister company or branch in Hungary. Various international companies have invested in branch offices in Budapest, which creates job opportunities for expats.

Search Engines

Search engines are great for scanning out multiple jobs in the area of your interest. It is helpful to post your CV or resume online so employers can find you. Signing up for e-mail alerts can also help you become more aware of new job opportunities.


As part of the EU, job seekers can access the European job mobility portal EURES. This resource provides information about job vacancies and the labor market. It also provides information on the living and working conditions, and a CV posting service.


Budapest's English-language newspapers may occasionally contain help-wanted ads for jobs that fall outside the scope of English language instruction. The one major qualification for an English language instructor is for English to be your first language. TEFL certifications are useful, but not required everywhere. Most of the companies that advertise for positions that would attract educated and skilled foreigners are usually foreign owned.


Networking can help you find the perfect position. Chat with other expats and share your experience on our expat forum.

Student Employment Contract

An employment contract is standard for any working environment and in the case of student or short-term work; a student employment contract may be used. This usually imposes a time limit between a student and an employer, with the student getting a salary for his/her work. Making a formal student work contract is not mandatory (it is possible to sign a standard employee contract instead), but may have additional benefits for a student position.

Discount Cards

ISE Card (International Student Exchange Card) - An internationally recognized identification card with thousands of discounts in over 80 countries, it is valid for one year from date of issue. Students of ANY age are eligible, as well as faculty members and children to young adults from 12-25. The price is $25 and you can purchase it online at

ISIC (International Student Identity Card) - Full-time students 12 years and older offers discounts on travel rates, accommodations, shopping, entertainment, basic sickness and travel insurance, and inexpensive international phone calls. A passport sized photo is required and the card costs about $25 and is good through December 31st of each year. It can be purchased at

IYTC (International Youth Travel Card) - A discount card for travelers under 26 who aren't enrolled in school, this card offers a smaller range of youth travel discounts. The card costs $22 card.

Work Visa

Short stay uniform "Schengen" visa (C)

Short stay uniform visa authorizes its owner to a single, double or multiple entries to Hungary. This visa enables its holder to reside in Hungary during 90 days maximum. Uniform visa applications have to be submitted to the competent Hungarian representations such as embassies and consulate in the country of origin.

Seasonal Employment Visa

Seasonal employment visa entitles the holder to single or multiple entries in case of employment for a period between three months and six months. The visa is valid for maximum one year. The applicant has to possess a seasonal work permit issued by the competent Hungarian Employment Office.

For additional information on visa, consult the section on "Passport and Visas".

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Update 24/04/2020


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Hungary and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Budapest, find a job.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).