Passport, Visa & Permits to Prague


This section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up-to-date information that pertains to your specific situation.


You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. A passport is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship. The process and cost associated with getting a passport can be high, so start the process at least six months before you plan to leave. Your passport must be valid 6 months beyond your intended stay. Minors are allowed to travel on their parents' passports up until aged 15 years.


A visa is a stamp or endorsement placed by officials on a passport that allows the bearer to visit the Czech Republic. Visas are obtained from the Embassy or consulates. Visas, regardless of their purpose, are issued for a period of one year. To renew a visa, applicants must apply three months before the expiration date of the visa. The latest date for a renewal is 14 days before expiration.

Who needs a visa?

EU nationals: Nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway do not need a Visa for their stay in the Czech Republic.

Other Nationalities: Visitors of the Czech Republic from the following countries do not need a visa for a stay up to 90 days:

  • Andorra
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Macao
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Republic of Korea
  • El Salvador
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Switzerland
  • Uruguay
  • USA
  • Vatican City
  • Venezuela

All other nationals need to acquire a visa before entering the Czech Republic. Also, all foreigners need to provide proof of health insurance. Prices vary between countries, although most visa are between 60-180 euros. The Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic overseas the administration of visas. To contact one of their offices in Prague, contact info is listed here.

Short Stay Visa

There are several types of short stay visas, including: Transit, tourist, and Works Visas.

Transit Visa

This visa is issued to travellers only entering the Czech Republic to continue on to another country.

    There are three different types:
  • Single Transit
  • Double Transit
  • Multiple Transit

Each visa allows a to stay in the Czech Republic of a maximum of five days and is valid for 180 days. This visa can be applied for at a consulate or embassy in your home country or at any Czech consulate. The processing time is usually about one week.

    Required documents:
  • Application
  • Passport
  • Recent, colored passport photograph (the background should be white or light blue)
  • Visa of a third country which can be the final destination of the trip or another transit country (not needed if the there is no visa obligation for the third country)
  • International travel transportation ticket (air ticket, train or bus ticket)
  • If travelling by car, the car insurance has to be provided
  • Proof of sufficient means to leave the country, either an accepted ticket of sufficient financial means to leave the country

Tourist Visa

If you are from a nation that requires a visa for stays under 90 days, this visa can be issued by the corresponding consulate or embassy in the applicant's home country. A tourist visa can be issued for a single or multiple entries into the Czech Republic. The total number of days may not be more than 90.

    Required documents:
  • Application
  • Passport
  • Recent, colored passport photograph (the background should be white or light blue)
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Proof of transport there and back

Work Visa

This visa is offered to people who want to work in the Czech Republic for no longer than 90 days. It may be issued as a single or multiple entry visa. EU citizens or nationals of Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland do not need to apply for this visa.

To get a short stay work visa, you need to obtain an employment permit from a Czech employment office before entering the country. There are several exceptions:
People who do not work more than 7 days in a row
People who do not work more than 30 days per year (if they are artists, students under the age of 26, athletes, academic personnel of a university, research assistants taking part in conferences, or service employees)

    Required documents:
  • Application
  • Passport
  • Recent, coloured passport photograph (the background should be white or light blue)
  • Proof of accommodation

Long Stay Visa

Longer visas, known as povoleni k dlouhodobemu pobytu, allow applicants to stay past 90 days. Applicants must submit the application form together with other required documents to a Czech diplomatic mission before entering the country. Long-stay visas are available for: employees, students, business people, self-employed people, or a dependant of someone who fits in one of the other categories.

    Required documents:
  • Application form - completed and signed by the applicant
  • Passport
  • 2 recent passport-sized photographs
  • Proof of accommodation in the Czech Republic (i.e. notarized statement from the owner saying you are provided for or a notarized copy of the rental contract)
  • A Czech criminal history record (which can be applied for at the embassy along with the visa)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds (the amount depends on the purpose of your stay)

Work Permit

Along with the long stay visa, you may apply for a work permit.
Additional Documentation: a work permit acquired by the prospective employer at the local employment office. In some cases, the reference number of the application and the name of the applicant are enough proof.

Student Visa

Along with the long stay visa, you may apply for a student visa.
Additional Documentation: a university confirmation letter.

Business Permit

Along with the long stay visa, you may apply for a business permit.
Additional Documentation: confirmation from an individual person or a commercial company registered in the Czech Republic is needed. Self-employed people need to have a trade licence.

Residency Permit

A long-stay residence permit (trvaly pobyt) may be applied for if you have been staying in the territory under a visa for a stay over 90 days and intend to reside temporarily in the territory for more than 1 year based on the same purpose of stay. These visas are valid for 5 years.

Long-term residence for study purposes may be filed at a diplomatic mission if you intend to reside temporarily in the territory for more than 3 months.
Long-term residence for the purpose of scientific research is filed at a diplomatic mission if you have concluded a hosting agreement with a research organization and intend to reside temporarily in the territory for more than 3 months.
Long-term residence for a dependent may be filed for the family of someone who has obtained another type of long-stay visa.
Long-term residence for the purpose of family reunification is filed at a diplomatic mission for aliens who stay in the territory over 90 days to complete family reunification. Applicants must be: a spouse of a Czech citizen (with both parties at least 20 years old), older than 70 years and live alone (and are unmarried and the parent of an adult Czech citizen), younger than 18 years and in the care of a Czech parent after a divorce, an adult child of a Czech citizen who is older than 70 years and who is living alone.

If an application for a visa is refused, you have the right to appeal this decision. Appeals are addressed to the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of Interior that made the decision about your application within 15 days after delivering the information about the application refusal.

Permanent Residence

    To apply for a Permanent Resident visa the foreign national meets the following conditions:
  • 5 years of uninterrupted stay in the territory
  • The foreign national did not disrupt public order in any serious manner and did not jeopardize the security of the Czech Republic or any other member state of the European Union
  • The foreign national proved that he or she has the financial resources for permanent residence in the territory

The legal status of a long-term European Community resident staying in the Czech Republic can also be granted to a member of the family of a citizen of the European Union, who is not a citizen of the European Union himself or herself, provided that the above conditions are met.

The application should be filed with the regional office of the Asylum and Migration Policy Department of the Ministry of the Interior. Prague's Office
Nad Vrsovskou Horou 88/4
101 00 Praha 10
Telephone: 974 847 712; 974 847 714; 974 847 715
Hours: Mon, Wed: 8.00 - 17.00; Tu, Th: 8.00 - 15.00; Fr: 8.00 - 11.00

    Documentation necessary:
  • Passport
  • Proof of adequate financial resources for permanent residence
  • 2 passport-sized photographs
  • Document proving the purpose of stay (employment, marriage, study)

Once approved, permanent residency will be indicated on the residence permit card.


EU nationals, and those who do not require visas, but whose stay will exceed 30 days must register with the Alien and Border Police within 30 days of arrival.
All other nationals must register with the Alien and Border Police within three days of arrival, regardless of intended length of stay. Generally, accommodation providers will arrange this for their guests.


Dual citizenship is restricted under Czech law, although there are some exceptions.

By Birth

A person is a Czech citizen by Jus sanguinis, or "right by blood", if they are descended from a Czech parent. Whether the person is born in the Czech Republic or elsewhere is irrelevant. Children born in the Czech Republic to non-Czech parents do not acquire Czech citizenship unless: the parents are stateless or at least one parent is a permanent resident of the Czech Republic.


Resident foreigners or stateless persons that have held a permanent residence and resided in the Czech Republic for five years can apply for Czech naturalization if they can prove:
They will give up their original citizenship upon being granted Czech citizenship
Are of good character with no criminal record
Proficient in the Czech language (current or former Slovak citizens are exempt from language requirements)

If an applicant does not meet these requirements, they may also apply if:
They were born in the Czech Republic
Lived there for at least 10 years continuously
Has held Czech citizenship before
Was adopted by a Czech citizen
His or her spouse is a Czech citizen
Has Czech children
At least one of his or her parents is a Czech citizen
Has relocated to the Czech Republic before 31 December 1994 on the invitation of the Czech government
They are stateless or has refugee status in the Czech Republic

Applications are made to Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic.

Update 27/01/2011


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Czech Republic and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Prague, departure.

Download the full digital PDF expat guide in Prague

Download the guide: Prague, Czech Republic
  • See in one single booklet all the articles for a city guide for expatriates.
  • Enjoy full colour photos to illustrate each section.
  • Additionnal maps: Region, City view, Neighborhood, Street view.

  • - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon