Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Working with EEA Family Permit before getting EEA2-CoA?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Conejo, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Conejo

Conejo New Member

Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    Chilean (CL)
    Languages:
    Spanish, German, English
    Dear All,

I am Chilean, my wife is German. We are planning to go to the UK with an EEA Family Permit for me, no real problem with this. I got a job offer, my wife still does not find a job there. A couple of questions:

1) May I work immediately after my arrival ?
    2) What about the National Insurance Number, May I get one using the EEA Family Permit?, Is it 100% required to work?, May I open a Bank account?
    3) Assuming 1) is possible: After receiving the first payslip and after my wife get a private health insurance we are planning to apply to a EEA2 residence permit showing that she is exercising her treaty rights as a self-sufficient person (in the website of UK Borders states that the application to EEA2 is not compulsory, however I believe it is necessary and practical). For the EEA2 I will have to send my passport, May I work while waiting for the EEA2 certificate of application (CoA) that confirms I can work (not the residence card). I called to UK Borders and they told me that it can take up to 28 days, during this period I will have no passport and no document showing I am allowed to work, Is it right?.

How can I prove that I can work during the three initial month and while waiting for the EEA2-CoA (again not the residence card)?

The problem is: if I do not work, we will have not chance to prove that my wife is exercising her treaty rights in a solid way.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - That would depend on your employer but I have never seen anyone having problem because of that. Besides CoA never takes as long as 28 days. Also you would apply at least a couple of weeks before you EEA FP runs out.

Good luck

3. Conejo

Conejo New Member

Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    Chilean (CL)
    Languages:
    Spanish, German, English
    Thank you for your answer!

4. Estephany

Estephany Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Japanese (JP)
    Languages:
    Japanese, French, English
    I also have the same question. My husband is an EEA national, and works in the UK. I am in the UK with an EEA family permit, and applied for a residence permit 3 days ago.

I want to look for a job here, but I am not sure if I am eligible to work in the UK with the FAMILY permit. If I can work...

How can I prove that I am eligible ( UK Home Office has my passport due to the procedure for the residence permit, so I can not even prove that I have an EEA family permit)?

My husband keeps telling me that I need a national insurance number in order to get a job. But the helpline tells me I need a job in order to get the number.

5. ladyjulian

ladyjulian Active Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Estephany, you should get an acknowledgement of receipt within about a month, and that will confirm that you have permission to work while your application is considered.

6. Estephany

Estephany Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Japanese (JP)
    Languages:
    Thank you so much :) I am waiting for the letter now, but I need it as soon as possible. I called UK home office, but ofc after being on a queue for 30 min, I gave up. Do you know any way to ask them to hurry up?

7. ladyjulian

ladyjulian Active Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    There isn't one, I'm afraid. Speaking to them might confirm that they have it, but it won't get it further down the queue.

Because of all the rule changes, loads of people have put in applications to get in before the changes apply, so they're unusually busy at the moment.

8. Estephany

Estephany Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Japanese (JP)
    Languages:
    Thank you very much. I will just wait for the receipt thing :)
    Thank you!