Forum Jamaica

Forum of expats in Jamaica: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN What to take and what not to take to jamaica when relocating

Discussion in 'Jamaica' started by arwaturra, Dec 3, 2012.

1. arwaturra

arwaturra New Member

City:
    dubai
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english,hindi
    Hi all
    hope everyone who is reading this(or not reading this ;) ) are doing great in their lives.Me and my husband are relocating soon to Kingston,Jamaica as a result of his job transfer.We are currently living in Dubai,UAE.I am bit confused what all should i take from Dubai to Jamaica as in electronics(Tv,household electronics etc),furnitures,kids essentials(like car seat,clothings,baby food etc for an infant girl)....I do not know about the market of the kingston city but ofcourse i dont expect it to be as wide as Dubai (everybody knows Dubai is a shopping hub with best of the variety and quality).Although the relocation charges will be borne by the company (but that doesnt mean we can carry wardrobes and bedroom set with us ;) )
    We are very confused what all we should shop from here and send through shipment.As of now we are living in a furnished appt and do not own any furniture( just the accessories)
    Please guide what should we carry when we move there.
    Any information will be helpful
    thanks in advance

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Congratulations on your upcoming move - it sounds quite exciting! And welcome to EasyExpat :D

As to your move, you can reach out directly to other expats in Jamaica through the network (once you've mad a few posts to prevent spam). You may also try reaching out to expat blogs in Jamaica. We recently featured an interview with 2 Canadian expats in Jamaica.

Our article on Moving House as an Expat also provides useful tips on moving abroad. I also encourage you to use the free quotes on Expat-Quotes to find the best deals on international movers etc.

Absolutely best of luck in your move & I hope to hear more about the process if you have any questions or advice to share. If any else has experience - please share!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...