Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN What happens after the wedding? American marrying Brit

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by maddybear, Apr 7, 2009.

1. maddybear

maddybear New Member

Forgive me, if this has already been answered. I searched in the Immigration to UK section and couldn't find exactly what I needed, and I'm frazzled but pleasantly surprised at how helpful everyone here seems.

Okie dokie:

My fiance lives in England and I'm in Minnesota. We're finding more and more that it would be WAY easier and less expensive to get married here. Once we're married (end of May beginning of June 2009) he is going to go back home and move into our new home.

In the meantime! (grr, this is the annoying part), if I want to be there by mid-August, I need to apply for the Spousal Visa? If so, is this a whole heck of a lot different from the Fiance Visa? (In terms of cost/time consumption)? If it's going to be $860 then I might as well keep going for the fiance visa and get married there for heavens sake!

Oh please help all you smart people! I would like to tell him we need to get married here so I have to understand exactly what I need to do in the 2 months before I move there with him.

Thanks so much! I'm so frazzled!
    :)