Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN US citizen with Danish permanent residency to move to UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by ebutler, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ebutler

ebutler New Member

I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is a UK citizen. We live in Denmark and I have my permanent residency card issued through our relationship. We have lived together for over 6 years. We have a 2 year old son and another one on the way. We are moving to the UK to be closer to family, but don't know what permits and visas I need or what is the best way to go about it.. We would rather not get married as we don't believe in it, but we want to make sure I can move to the UK and live and work there. Does my Danish residency help us? Am I more likely to granted or refused entry? How big a hassle is it to try to immigrate to the UK when you are not married? Is it just better that we get married?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:?:

2. Plum70

Plum70 Well-Known Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Languages:
    English
    It is certainly a lot easier to get married but as you both have decided against it for now, you would need to either apply for a EEA Family permit from the BHC in Denmark (which is valid for six moths) or enter the UK as a non visa national. Once you're e in the UK you need to apply for a UK residence card as an unmarried partner of a EEA citizen. The EU Directive considers unmarried partners as extended family members, as such the rights of residence of your EEA partner are not automatically conferred on you. Also the directive states that matters of residence for non-EEA unmarried partners be decided by domestic legislation (in your case UK Immigration rules). So be armed with as much evidence of your long term co habitation as possibe (at least 2 years worth). The law is not very clear on the status of non-EEA unmarried partners while their application for a residence card is being considered. So I would advise that you may find it a bit of a challenge to seek employment, open a bank, register with the NHS while you wait for your RC to b e granted.

I'd advise you to do as much research as possible from now, also maybe contact independent immigration advisory organisations for advice.
    Also see http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens

Good luck with it