Forum Ireland

Forum of expats in Ireland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Unmarried partner laws Ireland??

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bean, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Bean

Bean Member

i saw something mentioned in another thread and wanted to double check something-- Does Ireland now have an unmarried partner law? I was under the impression (from when i did some research in May/early June) that unmarried partner relationships were not recognised. Was there some EU directive passed that now required Ireland to change their laws to recognise these relationships?

i was looking at http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/ ... ional.html and am a bit confused still. It says "The Regulations provide for a wider definition of "family member", to include a partner with whom the EU citizen has a durable relationship, duly attested, and the dependent parents, children under 21 and other dependent children of that partner". So unmarried partners now qualify as "family members" ? It doesn't list any timeframes (as in i know in the UK you have to be living together for 2 years) or other specifications--does anyone have anymore information? I can't seem to find any more information about this....

Sadly i think i'm finding this information out about a month too late....:(

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    That should have been implemented on the 1st of may this year(all of EU).
    From other threads on this and other forums I occasionally visit I read that is very hard to prove that "relationship".
    Personally I would not go for it.
    You are off to NEW ZEALAND??? :confused: ;)

3. Bean

Bean Member

Are there any other forums or any information you might be able to point me in the direction of? I can't seem to get through to the department of immigration. The boyfriend is really keen to have me look (again i don't know if we'd qualify as we only have 7 months worth of paperwork (bills, leases, bank accounts, etc) in both our names) as his job is really keen to keep him and is trying to offer him a nice package to stay here. Is it really that difficult?

Ugh, and here i was thinking i was through with all this stress with just over a month before we're supposed to leave.... :confused:

4. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    I said that I dont know how all this work in Ireland but one thing is for certain you have to prove that you`ve been together in relationship akin to marriage for 2 years.Bills,bank account statments,accommodation contracts,pictures,letters,.....and all that c**p.
    See PM .