Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN UK Man With Aus Wife Having Baby in France

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Parky, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Parky

Parky Member

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen, however have not lived there for 12 years. I have a NI Number. My wife is Australian. We have just moved to Paris and plan to have our baby here as I am working in Paris on a contract.

Can somebody please tell me:

* Are we able to use the French social security system to therefore not need to pay for the delivery of the baby (in the British Hospital in Paris) since I am from the UK? Can my wife leverage off that?

* What do we need to do. Anybody you could recommend for advise?

Thanks,
    Parky.

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
  3. Parky

Parky Member

Hi,

I phoned the UK Dept of Health and they informed me that since I'm not a UK resident that they cannot assist with the costs etc...

So, we are now thinking that if we stay and have the baby in Paris we should now try and go through the French Health System. Since I'm an IT contractor over here in this 6 month contract, I want to be and am still a resident of Australia for tax purposes. There is the carte de séjour we need to get once we've been here for 3 months, yes? Does this card:

1. entitle us to the same medical benefits as a normal french person would? ie. would it be like we have registered in the French Health system?

2. would getting this card have any effect on my residency status as still being a non-resident of France for tax purposes? ie. can i still be classed as non resident for tax purpose and only pay tax in Aus?

Basically, we want to have the baby overseas in France and since it looks like the UK will not assist financially, we are wondering how or what the French healthcare system will assist us with.

What are the average expected costs of having a baby in france? I imagine it will be a lot of $EUR. :(

I imagine this must be a fairly common situ.

Assistance and advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Parky.