Forum Moving Back / Repatriation

Forum of expats Moving Back / Repatriation: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Student returning home to US from France

Discussion in 'Moving Back / Repatriation' started by Susan1234567, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Susan1234567

Susan1234567 New Member

I'm sure people post this kind of thing a lot, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a shipment service for extra baggage

I have lots of presents to bring home and i'd like to ship my extra clothes and other such stuff home instead of cramming my bags full and lugging them through the Parisian metro (with its lack of elevators)

The problem is that most of the over-advertised commercial ones are only for super-fast service. I really dont care when it gets there, as long as it does within a month or two and is not extremely expensive.

Can anyone help?
    -susan

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    It depends of what you want to ship. It can take about 6-8 weeks to ship to the US with a normal shipment service so it is not that fast. As you said that you are not in a hurry, I assume that you do not want services like UPS ;-). But you could use SERNAM (a French service link with La Poste, so you can probably ask information in a bureau de Poste or by calling 01 40 38 56 00 - M-F: 8.30-12.00 and 13.30-18.00). I do not know if they ship to the US, but I assume so.

You could also use a FREIGHT FORWARDING SERVICE- but that's more a global removal company that produces the service. These companies enclose your items within a crate, insure, ship and arrange reception by a similar service in the US. You have a list on the US Embassy website.

[%sig%]