Forum Slovakia

Forum of expats in Slovakia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Slovak Citizenship (Former Czechoslovakia)

Discussion in 'Slovakia' started by alphazip, Apr 1, 2008.

1. alphazip

alphazip Well-Known Member

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    A friend asked me whether he could claim Slovak citizenship through his mother, who was ethnically Slovak and born in Bratislava. She was born in 1909, before Czechoslovakia or Slovakia existed, and later emigrated to the U.S., married, and died there. My friend was born in the U.S. in the 1950s. I read that Slovakia is generous in allowing citizenship to its former residents, but does anyone know if the extends to the child of a former resident? Thanks!

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi

I did a Google with 'Slovak Citizenship Enquiries'. Near the bottom it gave this address of:

Ministry of the Interior of the Slovak Republic
    Dept. for nationality and register
    Drienova 22
    826 86 Bratislava

Maybe that document and address might give some clues as to where to start. Sorry I can't be of more help than this. An address for the Slovak Embassy is available in Washington D.C. Good Luck. Let us know what happens from there.

3. alphazip

alphazip Well-Known Member

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks! I found out that for a person to inherit Slovak citizenship, at least one parent must have been a Czechoslovak citizen (of Slovak ethnicity) at the time of the child's birth. There is also another route to citizenship that is allowed to persons of Slovak descent (of whatever degree) who have maintained cultural ties to Slovakia, through language, customs., etc. This would allow such a person to live and work in Slovakia and apply for full citizenship after 3 years.