Forum India

Forum of expats in India: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Questions about Employment in Personnel and Physical SCTY

Discussion in 'India' started by MajorGregory, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MajorGregory

MajorGregory New Member

City:
    Bogard Missouri
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Basic Russian
    Hi,

I recently retired from the Army after 24 years in Military Intelligence Branch. I am interested in finding a job in India as a Chief Security Officer GM/VP of Security or something similar. This would be in Personnel and Physical Security and Investigations not IT Security.

I made 120k a year as a Major in the US Army and Commanded an organization with about 500 people accomplishing various security tasks through a staff of 50-70 subordinates. With 24 years of experience I see several (100's actually) of jobs in this field looking for retired ex defense personnel in the rank of Major or above. The pay varies from between 6 and 20 lacks a year which is a concept with which I am unfamiliar. I used a currency converter and got that 120k USD is about 6468655.03 INR. I am not a total dolt so I think this translates to 6 lacks 46 thousands. In the US I lived OK on 120k a year but now that I am retired I make about 50k.

It seems to me that while I heard that Indian Jobs pay a lot less than one would expect in the US I see some jobs wanting people who fit my profile with 18-25 years of experience offering 15-20 lacks PA.

I am just curious am I converting correctly?

Second what kind of life can one live for 8-10 lacks a year in India say with a comparison between an expensive place like Mumbai and a cheaper rural region say Pune.

It seems the market in India is wide open and I have applied for 50 or so positions on Naukri.com and while some of the positions clearly ask one to speak the local language or dialect the listings are in English and many don't mention any such restriction.

Do I have any hope at all of acquiring one of these positions? I have access to a facility with full video teleconferencing equipment and can do an interview by video.

So if someone could help with my questions.

1) Should I upgrade to paid naukri.com for the benefits.
    2) What quality of life should I expect for 8-12 lacks PA.
    3) Do I have any hope at all of getting a response?
    4) In the US Army a Major is a Senior Leader (Field Grade Officer) is it similar in the Indian Army and does it translate well skill wise.
    5) I certainly have the investigation and security knowledge to be a senior manager for a security firm but wonder if I am wasting my time looking in India.
    6) Could someone help me focus my search somehow to organizations looking for men with my skills.

Cheers.

R. Allen Gregory
    Major, US Army (Retired)

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    $50k is still a lot although it depends on your standard of living.

Life is of course much cheaper in India than in the US. We have a very quick tool to compare cost of living between some international cities. It gives you a rough estimate.

For example if you enter $120,000 and select from San Francisco to Mumbai, you get a wage equivalent of $68,570 for the same standard of living in India (Mumbai). So about half the original salary. So according to our estimate and using our currency converter, it is a little more than 3,620,000.

$120,000 are actually equivalent to 63 Lakhs (a Lakh Rupee is one hundred thousand rupees) - we use our currency converter tool - and $60k are equivalent to 31.6 Lakhs.

So now if you compare the $50k US wage in equivalent wage in India you get ~$28k or 15 Lakhs. I can only assume that life being much cheaper further away from big cities such as Mumbai, it could be equivalent to 8-10 Lakhs in Pune for example, or even a better standard of living.

3. MajorGregory

MajorGregory New Member

City:
    Bogard Missouri
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Basic Russian
    Ahh,

Thank you so much!

I see I am off a decimal point on my figures it seems which is why I am glad to have always had good Captains to save me from math errors. God save the Finance Corps for keeping me out of jail!

Anyway, I see jobs on Naukri.com for Chief Security GM and VP of Security that offer between 9,000,000 INR and 18,000,000 INR so that means they are offering 90-180 lakhs? Some come with corporate houses a driver car and staff – does that seem right? In Naukri.com’s defense they kept telling me to list my correct salary to get better offers…

No wonder I got only two views I listed my salary of 120K USD as 6 lakhs 95 as an estimate. That meant 695,000 INR - no wonder I have no one looking they think I am insane or incompetent.

How well do you think I could live rurally on my 50K USD PA retirement income somewhere rural but safe and is it possible to by farms or farmland. Any links would be appreciated regarding pricing per acre and for rural homes.

Cheers,

R. Gregory
    Major, US Army (Retired)

4. MajorGregory

MajorGregory New Member

City:
    Bogard Missouri
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Basic Russian
    I also retract my statement about not being a dolt - obviously I am math challenged.

5. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    :lol:
    About the $50k, as I said, it is just depending on your standard of living, I am not making any judgement. Even if I think it is better to get more, I try to always remember what the average income is: about $41k in the US (and the median - 50% earn more, 50% less - is even lower: $26,364 in 2010 and the lowest level since 1999, according to David Cay Johnston at Reuter). Saying that, the cost of health care cost a fortune... :(

6. MajorGregory

MajorGregory New Member

City:
    Bogard Missouri
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Basic Russian
    Ok, Thanks for the answers. I make the 50K USD in retirement pay and as a retired Soldier my health care costs $45.00 a month and 10.00 co-pay for a Dr. Visit with 5.00 for a script. I'm all set as far as that goes. The US does take care of the retired Soldiers – I’ll give us that.

Here is where I concerned I am only 46 so I have another career in me.

I am looking for one in India - however, unless what I am reading is wrong I am about to cry - I have to be reading or doing something wrong. Take this for example.
    http://jobsearch.naukri.com/job-listing ... 0812002492

They are looking for someone with Experience: 10 to 15 yrs. | Salary: INR 7,50,000 - 10,00,000 P.A | Opening(s): 1 Posted on: 17 Sep .

If I am reading that right they want to pay the security manager for a large manufacturing plant between (according to this converter http://coinmill.com/INR_USD.html#INR=7,50,000 ) 14073.17 - 18764.23 USD PA.? Do professionals in India really make less than 20,000.00 a year?

Also, the other one I mentioned I was reading wrong it was 9,00,000 -18,00,000 PA with a well appointed dwelling car and corporate driver. So a 33,000.00 is the pay for a guy to manage security for multiple plants thousands of acres and 100’s of security officers in and around Pune area with 20+ year’s experience?

Unless I am reading something wrong India is not the place to go for a soft security gig with high pay – I’d be better off going back to Afghanistan or Iraq with one of the PMC’s making 120K and doing 90 days on 3 weeks off. That is not even as a team leader that’s as a grunt doing PSD for some State Department Douche. Its more dangerous of course but at least I can still make 6 figures.

Please someone (anyone who has lived in India) tell me I am reading this wrong why are the comas in the wrong place X,XX,XXX instead of X,XXX,XXX ? That can’t be what they are paying top tier security managers?

7. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    I am afraid that it is not completely unexpected :(. Although I do not have experience in India (if I had I would give you immediately the best sectors for high pay salary for foreigners), I had a look at the GDP per person (PPP) in comparison to the US (2011 estimate):
    India: $3,693
    USA: $48,386
    So you can draw your own conclusions on the offers that they make for some jobs.

However, as often when you think about immigrating to another country for living, the best thing is probably to go there for a while, make some contacts, and look directly by yourself and not only on the Internet.