Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Obtaining UK Spousal Visa

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Rukie, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Rukie

Rukie New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi. I know topics have been made about this before, and I have read them, but I need more specific information. I'm a US citizen trying to move over to the UK. My fiance and I planned to get married this summer when he came to visit. He is then going to return to the UK and find a job, and I am going to follow him as soon as I get approved for the visa. My biggest worry is the amount of money you need to be approved. Does anyone know how much money we need to have saved in order to be approved? Or how much money he needs to be making at his job, or if he actually even needs a job at all for me to be approved? We plan to live at his parents until we can find our own place. I've just graduated with a Bachelors degree and he has completed high school, if that matters at all. Any information anyone has on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    There are FAQ about these visas (UK marriage visa) and the UK Home office is your best resource: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... lpartners/

But the guidelines they offer are still a bit vague "The applicant must be able to support him / herself, or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds". If you need more specific information, you may need to contact the closest embassy. Have you tried that?

Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rukie

Rukie New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks for the link. I will take your advise. Thanks.

4. emily85

emily85 New Member

Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi There,

There isnt a SET amount, it basically just means he (the UK citizen) can show that he can provide for you without you having to reply on public funds.

So, when I rang the UKBA to look into this.. they advised me that the UK citizen basically needs to show proof of income that they have a job that can cover BOTH living expenses, and a bit of savings. While the amount of savings isnt set, its around the ball park of 3000GB

5. Rukie

Rukie New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you. That's really helpful. I'm glad to at least have a ball park.