Forum Immigration USA

Forum of expats in the Immigration USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Need to go to my wife but not really sure how too!

Discussion in 'Immigration USA' started by katym250, Oct 8, 2005.

1. katym250

katym250 New Member

Hi,Im hoping someone out there can help me,ok,my wife is an American citizen and I live in England but am planning to go over there to live in a couple of months and have a couple of questions,1st,how do I go about this,ie,reguarding airline ticket(oneway?) also what about the visa waver form that only gives me 90 days,what happens then?and what do I say to the immigration bodies when they ask me my reason for visiting do I just tell them I am visiting my wife,please I need some help thanks

2. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    2 facts going for you:

1) You're married to an American citizen. You can actually have your papers processed to have a spousal visa so you are not limited to the 90 day limit for visa waiver program. With a spousal visa, you have a longer, possibly unlimited time in the US.

2) You have a 90 day visa waiver program in place, which means you can go to the US and stay there for not more than 90 days. And with you being married to an American citizen, there is no reason for you not to be able to get in.

Your only red flag is if you show them a one way ticket, and you say you're just "visiting" your wife, as these facts do not add up, if you know what I mean. Having that visa waiver program is not a guarantee that immigration officials are going to let you in just like that, they WILL still question your motives.

Your best bet: say you'll visit your wife but have a return ticket with you to show proof that you intend to depart. Then when you're in already, just refund your trip back if you want to. What you do from here, is up to you.

3. oxtus

oxtus New Member

Don't mess with Immigration Officers and the Immigration administration in general. After 9/11, it's the kind of thing that can ban you from ever going in the United States...even for a 90 day visit. If you want to immigrate permnently, it is best for you to apply before you leave England and do the entire process before going to the United States. Working with the Immigration Office once you are there is much harder I was told. Play it safe and regular: stay legal.

But it's up to you as the previous post says. This is only my feeling and it is not an official advice.