Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Need info regarding my husband's permanent residency in UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Katarzyna Ali, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Katarzyna Ali

Katarzyna Ali New Member

Hello All,
    I hope every one is good along with moderators. Its been a long time since i was here last time i.e 2005.
    As usual i have come back for some info regarding my husband's application for permanent residency in UK. My husband came to UK in March 2004 on a student visa. He is originally from Pakistan and i am polish. I met my husband in september 2004 and we got married in feb,2005. Then after taking guidance from here we applied to Home Office for his Residency stamp. He was initially given 1 yr residency stamp. then in 2006 when we applied again he was given 5 yrs residency stamp as a Eu Family dependant.
    Now my question is,

1. he will lawfully complete 5 years in uk in March 2009. Although until June 2005 he was on student visa, as he was given Eu Family member status in june 2005. But refering to the info from HO website, which i am going to paste at the end of this letter, would that time which he spent as an international student in uk count towards the 5 years period.
    Do u think that he is ellegible to apply for permanent residency???

Permanent residence
    After you have lived in the United Kingdom for a continuous period of five years you can apply for confirmation of your permanent residence. You will need to have been living in the United Kingdom and in employment, self-employment, studying or self-sufficient throughout the five-year period.

For your residence in the United Kingdom to be considered continuous you should not be absent from the United Kingdom for more than six months each year. Longer absences for compulsory military service will not affect your residence. Additionally, a single absence of a maximum of 12 months for important reasons such as pregnancy, child birth, serious illness, study, vocational training or posting overseas will not affect your residence.

EEA and Swiss nationals will be issued with a document that confirms they are permanent residents in the United Kingdom. This document has no expiry date. Applications by EEA and Swiss nationals should be made using application form EEA3. You can download it from the right side of this page.

Non-EEA nationals will be issued with an endorsement that is placed in the holder's passport. This endorsement is valid for 10 years. Applications from non-EEA nationals should be made using application form EEA4. You can download it from the right side of this page.

Please do give it a bit of a thought and let me know. Love You All.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Hej Kasiu

Its too late I suppose and you must have got your answer by now but just in case, the time he spend as international student does NOT count towards the five years residency requirement.

Good luck !