Forum Departure

Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to England from San Francisco - share shipping?

Discussion in 'Departure' started by sanfran1205, Feb 13, 2006.

1. sanfran1205

sanfran1205 New Member

City:
    San Francisco
    I was going to put my few things into storage but have now decided it might best to ship everything to my home in England (Stafford), just in case I don't come back. I'm finding out though that minimum costs for shipping are ridiculous!

If you're moving to the UK in the near future and may have a little room in your container to squeeze my few boxes of personal items (mainly photos and pictures) and a reclining chair, please let me know. Obviously, I'm willing to contribute towards the cost.

Thanks so much!

PS: I fly out of SF on February 24, so nothing like leaving things to the last minute!

2. TYASH

TYASH New Member

City:
    North Carolina
    You may want to consider Less than Container Load shipping. This is much more economical when sending a small amount of goods. The other option would be a consolidation with another shipper who is going to the U.K. Keep in mind that you must complete customs documentation, and allow a professional packer to pack your goods. Most companies will not allow "packed by owner" goods anymore because of security issues. You will also have to pay for the company at destination to clear the shipment through customs and handle the goods into their warehouse either for your pickup or if you choose to pay additional costs, delivery to your home.
    Feel free to contact me if you would like a quote on sending your goods LCL ocean freight.

Sincerely,
    Tylene Ashcroft TAshcroft@Kimmelworldwide.com