Forum Departure

Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Australia

Discussion in 'Departure' started by 0, Mar 27, 2003.

1. 0

0 Guest

Help, we are moving to Australia from England and want to take our tv's and video's with us but have been told that they will not work over there. Does anyone know if this is true??

2. 0

0 Guest

Hi Liz
    I work with Crown Relocations - we are an international relocations/moving company with offices in 60 countries, including all Australian capital cities. (I am Australian and work in the Paris office). Might I sugges that you look at our website: www.crownrelo.com
    I'm sure you will find useful info regarding your move.
    olimpia

3. 0

0 Guest

TV standard in Australia

Hi Liz

The difference is the standard for the tunner. They use PAL I in England while they use PAL B/G in Australia.

The difference is in the RF tuner in TVs and video recorders - they use different spacing of the sound carrier relative to the video carrier, so the pictures will probably be OK with a PAL I only but there will be no sound. The baseband signal (composite video from SCART or phono sockets) is the same.
    VHS tapes recorded in the UK will play OK in Aus and vice-versa.

You may find that modern TVs are actually switchable between variants of
    PAL - it's just a change inside the tuner module. Most modern TV sets support PAL-B/G as well as PAL-I and will will work equally well in Australia.

So check on your TV specification guide. They should say something like multistandard PAL B/G/I.

Of course if you subscribe to satellite or cable when in Australia then
    it won't matter if you have just a PAL-I UK set anyway cos you won't be
    using its tuner (about $60 per month for satelite, its about the same for cable. You can get a combined ADSL / Cable TV deal also).

Regards
    Cyril

4. 0

0 Guest

Re: TV standard in Australia

What options(modifications) are there to change UK Pal to Australian Pal system so that the TV/Video will work.

I have the same problem with a Sony TV bought in UK, and does not work in Australia

5. 0

0 Guest

I am not an expert ...as I do not have a TV ;)

However I've been told that with some VCR's if you're lucky, there is a switchable sound IF between 5.5 and 6MHz (The UK uses PAL I - which has an offset of 6.0MHz, Australia uses PAL B - which has an offset of 5.50MHz). On some the switch is actually inside the modulator can.

It is also possible to modify the modulator output to go to 5.5MHz instead of the 6MHz.

Anyway if you've got still some problem, ask a dealer. It's an easy fix and most TV repair people know how to do it. It is probably a matter of changing the SAW filters or some ceramic filters... a 2 minute job.

Cyril

6. 0

0 Guest

Hi.
    I am living in Germany for six months and i come from Australia. I am interested in buying a Canon Mv600i video camera. Do you thik it will work in Australia? :confused:??:.

Thank you.

7. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français

Well, those things are pretty standard. You will have to buy an adaptor to plug it in (but maybe you retailer in Germany will give you an international one... it's often the case with laptops). So there should be no problem. But you better double check with your retailer... ;-)

[%sig%]

8. Laurel

Laurel New Member

City:
    Manila
    Visited Brisbane Australia in January, hoping to emigrate spring next year. Whilst we were out there my husband phoned an advert abouta bricklayers job to find out what the basic wage was. We were told about $960 a week. Which seemed living would be extremely tight, when you consider deducting tax, shopping, rent etc.
    Since then we have friends who have emigrated. Although he is a carpenter not bricky and has of yet not got his liscence to trade. They have said that the wages for a trade person is higher about, $1,500-$2,000 a week.
    Is there anybody that can advise on a average Bricklayer/builders wage? either before or after goverment deductions (please state)
    Thanks Laurel x

9. rschalmers

rschalmers New Member

City:
    London

I have yet another question about this...

>>The difference is the standard for the tunner. They use PAL I in England while they use PAL B/G in Australia.

>>The difference is in the RF tuner in TVs and video recorders - they use different spacing of the sound carrier relative to the video carrier, so the pictures will probably be OK with a PAL I only but there will be no sound.

If one has an Aussie TV and video... Is it possible to tune the TV to the picture frequency, and the video to the sound frequency to overcome the PAL-I/PAL B issues (with the sound coming through a stereo)?

10. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français

:headscratch: Hmmmmm I really don't know... but I do not think so. Best thing is to ask a retailer but as I said earlier the change is not that complicated and if it's a recent TV, it might have the different standards anyway alrready...

[%sig%]

11. JamesGranton

JamesGranton New Member

City:
    Perth
    Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Dear Liz,

I had exactly same problem, when I was moving to Australia. Fortunately, a guy who's relocating company I used has sorted it out for me. Here's the link to his website if you would need that:

http://www.internationalshippingscotlan ... n-removals

Basically, the only difference is plugs. If you think about that, when Australian visit UK, they do not buy Brittish devices just to use over holidays (I mean phone chargers etc.). I think you could buy the plug extenstions at B&Q in the UK.

Cheers,
    James