Forum Open Bar

Forum of expats Open Bar: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Meaning of these jobs names and advice

Discussion in 'Open Bar' started by milki, May 26, 2006.

1. milki

milki Active Member

Hi there,

I graduate in less than one week (Master's degree in french law), and I would like to gain an experience in law in the UK. So I'm currently searching which kind of job I'll seek once in London ... but I've got troubles to understand some expressions. Could you help me please ?

What is a "paralegal" ? What is the difference with a "legal secretary" ? what about "Company Secretary" ? Is a strong experience usually required to apply for this kind of job ?

Where to apply ?
    Temp agencies ?
    Which one do you advise me to go to ?
    Where to seek such jobs ?

I know what you'll think : just go there with your CVs and ask anywhere. I know that's the way it works for "simple" jobs such as waiter, bar staff, sales assistant in a small clothes shop, etc. but I really don't know if it's the same for legal jobs AND I don't even think there will be legal companies with offices on the pavement.

And to finish, a general question : is a perfect english required to be hired by a company in the UK or a fluent one is sufficient ? I obtained 885 at the TOEIC three weeks ago, is that enough ?

Many, MANY thanks

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    A company secretary is the person in charge of the records of the company. So it depends how big is the company.