Forum Paris

Forum of expats in Paris: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Jobs in Paris for an American?

Discussion in 'Paris' started by joannam17, Aug 15, 2011.

1. joannam17

joannam17 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, French, Polish
    Hello,

I am finishing school in May 2012 and I intend on moving to Paris. I am a US citizen and Polish citizen BUT my french is a working progress. I speak English and Polish fluently and currently can read well, write okay, and speak a little French.
    I will have a degree in Textiles and Merchandising (retail, clothing design, merchandising, textile quality) and another degree in Communication (with emphasis on public relations and advertising).

The first few months I will be studying French but I really hope to find a position in a field that suits either of my two degrees.

Any advice? or is this even possible?
    If not, what kind of jobs are common to look for when arriving to a large city like Paris, where English is fairly beneficial?

Thank you for the help!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    It sounds like you have a great foundation (education, French in progress, Polish passport). You can definitely do it! Though moving abroad is complicated & intimidating, it is by no means impossible.

Start with the EasyExpat guide to Paris which has start to finish info about moving abroad. Also check out bloggers in France: http://www.blogexpat.com/en/dir/france.htm. They will have great stories to help you understand what you are getting into & have already accomplished what you want to do. People love comments so feel free to contact them directly.

Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...