Forum Madrid

Forum of expats in Madrid: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Job outlook...anyone feeling positive?!?

Discussion in 'Madrid' started by hellosweet, Jun 6, 2012.

1. hellosweet

hellosweet New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish, Scottish!
    Dear new friends,

I am a going to be a Madrid expat...again! I previously lived in Madrid, left for around 2 years, but after some time in Barcelona, my heart lies in Madrid!

I have been applying for jobs and searched every job site, forum you can think of and I know, I know the situation in Spain is bleak to say the least! However, has anyone had any luck recently finding a job??

I search the job forums everyday and it's the same posts that have been lingering for months. I am desperate to get a job in Madrid and was aiming to line one up before making the move back, I know it's really obvious but is not being in Madrid hurting my chances? I figured it was safer to stay in my current job and apply from there (I have made it really clear I can relocate at the drop of a hat.. I work for a family business and it's easy to leave!). Now I am thinking I should take the plunge and just move?? Advice?!

I speak Spanish, I have a NIE, I have a fairly decent cv... basically I don't want to teach English while job hunting as I did it before and a few companies were put off as they saw it as a career direction problem (I work in business).

I look forward to your advice guys!!

Gracias

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. It is so difficult when you love a city, but can't find work there (a common situation in Berlin). A lot of people here have taken to creating their own position with an unbelievable amount of start-ups in the city. I don't know if that is an attractive option for you, but it is something to think about.

I would recommend checking out the job listings on EasyExpat, as well as the Expat Guide to Madrid. It offers information about looking for work in Madrid as well as a wealth of other info.

You may also try networking with expats in the city, either through the expat network or expat blogs in Spain.

Anyone else have tips or information? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hellosweet

hellosweet New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish, Scottish!
    Thanks for the advice texkourgan! I have considered going it alone, autonomo style but it's seems quite scary as I am only 25 and not sure I am experienced enough, but if I really wanted to go for it I could at least try translating and teaching English and see what it leads to, then if it came to doing interviews I could explain I had worked as freelance. That leads me to another forum post completely about being autonomo!! I will definitely take a look at those links :)
    Cheers

4. pierrealbanwaters

pierrealbanwaters New Member

City:
    Madrid
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Spanish, English, French
    Hey Hellosweet,

Yes, It is possible to find a job in Madrid.
    I got 2 top consulting jobs when I was employed, then freelanced, and now have my own company.

As you know Madrid and have some experience with Spain's culture, I recommend you head to my advanced top 10 tips to find a job in Madrid.

By the way, I have a question: why Madrid ? you have appartenly extensive experience on both cities (I worked in both also), and would love to have your personal take on why you prefer Madrid.

All the best,
    Pierre - @pierrewaters