Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Is there a way to claim citizenship from Spain?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by polskasweetie, Aug 7, 2005.

1. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    Hi everyone!

Been reading and replying to posts here, trying to help out those who need information. Now it's my turn to post a question. Here is my situation:

I'm non-EEA, born in the Philippines, lived in the US for the past 4 years to study and work, and now in the UK (London) with my EEA spouse trying to adjust to our new life here.

I was told by relatives before, as I was doing some genealogy research on my family, that my great grandfather was a citizen of Spain who came to the Philippines to set up a business. He got married and had kids of course, one of which is my grandfather (who I've never met), who in turn fathered a son (my daddy), and of course, responsible in part for churning me out! My last name is Fargas, which I heard is a surname very familiar in Spain. My aunts even told me that the Fargas family in Spain even has this candy shoppe that's been running for decades!

Given this lineage, and it is obvious I am a direct desendant of my great grandfather who holds Spanish citizenship, can I claim such citizenship as well? Or is it only up to a certain degree, e.g. only 2 generations down can claim citizenship. Spanish is actually my first language when I was a kid, and learned English when I started school.

Hope anyon can help me on this and/or post links as to where I can find reliable information. Many thanks!

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    I do not think you can claim Spanish citizenship. Usually it is related to your direct in kind, such as parents or children (not grandparents or grandchildren). I have heard that it was different in the eastern countries as in certain circonstances due to the 40 years of communist regime, you can claim ; but I haven't much detail nor can confirm.

3. sarendt

sarendt Member

Kumusta ka,

No you cannot claim a Spanish Citizenship. Noone can claim unless they have a permament and legal residence for a minimum of years.

If you have parents or grandparents you can claim spanish citizenship afher 1 year of legal residence in Spain.

However, as you are Filipino you would be to solicit for a citizenship after 2 years of legal residence. Filipinos and latinamericans enjoy that right.

Regards

simon

4. Ilene

Ilene Member

Nope, you can't. You could if one of your parents/grandparents were spanish, but not with your great grandfather.

Sarendt :

I don't understand, cause I've been living in France since I was born, and I do have spanish nationality, just because my mother's spanish :confused:

5. sarendt

sarendt Member

Hi Ilene,

I don't understand, cause I've been living in France since I was born, and I do have spanish nationality, just because my mother's spanish :confused:[/quote]

Ok I am no expert on this, but if you have a dual citizen ship you probably got it at birth at the Spanish Consulate in France if applying for it, if not you would only get the nationality of your father. The info I posted I found on the homepage of Spanish Ministry of Justice.

Nacidos fuera de España, de padre o madre, abuelo o abuela que originariamente hubieran sido españoles: 1 año

http://www.mju.es/mnacionalidad.htm

Here are some more legislations re spanish Citizenship.

http://www.mae.es/documento/0/000/000/5 ... lidad.html

Simon

6. Ilene

Ilene Member

Yes, I'v got it since my birth, that must be why ;)

I wasn't aware of that law o_O

7. polskasweetie

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply to my question. Buti naman at may ibang pinoy dito! (It's good that there's another Filipino in this forum!). When you say 2 years of legal residence, it means that I have been there for 2 years, since arriving at the airport, or are there other conditions that need to be met? Or is it because I'm Filipino I can stay there for 2 years and then apply for citizenship? By the way, I'm married to an EU citizen, do I need visa to go to Spain, or just a certain permit? Thanks!

8. sarendt

sarendt Member

Polska,

I am not Pinoy, but I am married to a Pinay who should soon be able to join me in Spain.

As far as I understand you will need to obtain a residence in Spain and after 2 years living there you can apply for spanish citizenship. This is a right for filipinos, Iberoamericans, portuguese and people of Andorra. If you were married to a Spaniard I believe you can get it already after 1 year.

If you are married to a EU citizen and is already living in the UK, I suppose you have a UK residence and then there should be no need for a Visa. In case you need a visa it should not be any problem to get one from the Spanish Embassy in the UK.

My sister in law is pinay and lives in Denmark, and she does not need any visa to travel here.

Only thing needed for getting the residence here is that you or your husband get a job or perform some sort of activity in Spain. I.e. follow the guidelines of EU and the free right to movement and work

9. polskasweetie

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    Thanks for thr reply. I don't have the residence permit yet, as I am currently seeking work. But once I do apply for that, that only specifies me having freedom of movement in the UK, and not an EU citizen that can travel to any EU country without a visa.

But it's nice to know that there is a program in place for Filipinos as you mentioned in an earlier post. Too bad, if I had known that, I might have considered Spain in the discussions as a place to move to.

10. fishey

fishey New Member

City:
    philippines
    ok i need help too

here's my story everyone. and to anyone who has answers i would appreciate it.

my dad's grandparents are both spanish citizens. they went to the philippines for i dont know what reason. they had two daughters [one daughter is the mom of my dad]. their daughters became filipino becasue of the treaty of paris/parish? so if my dad claims citizenship cause his grandparents were spanish, in turn can i claim a citizenship?

thank you

11. polskasweetie

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    I believe this has been answered already.

12. sunshine1025

sunshine1025 New Member

my mom's grandfather is spanish

so given the fact that my great grandfather is indeed spanish. one of the spanish soldiers who killed Rizal (ouch!), so that means my mom can be get spanish citizenship right? So if in case she gets the citizenship, then her children can apply for the same right? hope someone can shed a light on this. I know there are other posts about this. But what I dont understand is that, you inherit your parents citizenship right? so if my mom is eligible for this citizenship and indeed got it. then her children can apply afterwards.

13. ryun

ryun New Member

I have a fiancée in Spain

Hi everyone!

I'm a Filipino and I have a fiancée in Spain, a Filipina with a Spanish citizenship as well. We're planning to get married and live in Spain with her but I need a visa to marry her there.

Can I marry her anyway even if she's in Spain (and me here in Philippines) and then eventually get a visa to live with here there? Does anyone here knows how it works? How to get a visa? Is it possible in the first place?

I hope someone could help me here.

Thanx..

14. naveedzan

naveedzan New Member

City:
    Spain
    Citizenship Information Request

Hi guys and girls,

With due respect, I would like to ask, Can a spouse of some one be eligible for the Spanish Nationality also on behalf of partner who got the Spanish Nationality through naturalization (After 10 years of legal residence)?