Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Indefinite Leave to Remain for EEA Family Member

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by amoros, Jan 2, 2013.

1. amoros

amoros Member

Hello.

As a family member of an EEA National, I have been in the UK with a 5-year home office document/visa .
    I have been working legally here in the UK since then.

My 5-years visa is about to expire and I am not sure about what to do next:

1- As far as I understand, after staying for 5 years, I should be able to apply for ILR.
    What documents and forms to I need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

2- Do I need to apply together with my spouse and our children who are all EEA Nationals? They currently have a blue card/permit from the Home Office.

3- How long does it take? (I need to know as my visa will expire in a couple of month...)

Thank you very much.

Happy new year.

Amoros.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The Guide to London offers helpful information about visas in the UK and other issues associated with being an expat. In addition, our article "Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work: the United Kingdom" covers some of the information about immigrating to the UK.

In regards to ILR, or Permanent Residence, it is granted to people who have already shown a commitment to the UK. Requirements depend on what visa you currently hold and for how long. It appears you've done that by successfully gaining a visa and work. Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the United Kingdom.

Required documents:
    Form EEA2 (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /eea21.pdf)
    Valid passport
    Passport or national identity card of your UK, EEA or Swiss national sponsor
    Evidence of your relationship to the UK, EEA or Swiss national (e.g. marriage license or birth certificate)
    Two (2) recent passport photos

There are two ways of applying for settlement, by post or through a public enquiry office (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... 8m%29/scs/). Applications need to be submitted no more than 28 days before you become eligible to apply. However, you must make your application before your current permission to stay in the UK expires. From Wednesday 29 February 2012, all applicants in the UK need to obtain a biometric residence permit (fingerprints and facial image) to stay for more than 6 months. The ILR requires you to not spend 2 years or more outside of the UK, as this can lead to it being revoked.

Hopefully this helps clarify a few things and points you in the right direction. Obviously, the UK Border Agency is the official site and they offer a step-by-step guide to applying here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... tiontypes/

Please let us know about any other questions you have and the process of applying. This info is really helpful for other expats. Best of luck! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. amoros

amoros Member

4. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    Amoros,

For the ILR application, you need to fill out EEA4, your wife and kids the EEA3.

They don't have to fill it out to stay here as they are EEA citizens, but if your eventual goal is to gain UK citizenship, and want them to have UK Citizenship as well, then current rules state that one must have had the ILR for at least a year prior to applying for Naturalisation.

The EEA 3 and 4 applications are free anyway so just go ahead with it.

5. Raniya26

Raniya26 New Member

City:
    West yorkshire
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello there..
    I Came here in UK from Pakistan after marrying.And now on '14th June 2013' my 2 years visa is about to expire.
    So which English language course i have to do in order to apply for an indefinite leave to remain??
    I haven't done any kind of course yet.
    And when do i need to apply ?? please reply

6. amoros

amoros Member

Hello PolskaSweetie.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    By The Way, I love your avatar :)

About the EEA3 form for my wife:

1- We have a child born outside of the UK when we moved in and he has been going to school here for over 5 years now. I suppose we have to include him on the EEA3. right?

2- We have another one born here in the UK a year ago. Should we include him on the EEA3 as well?

Thank you very much.

Amoros.