Forum Immigration USA

Forum of expats in the Immigration USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Immigration/Marriage - not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Immigration USA' started by AlexAndHolly, Mar 11, 2007.

1. AlexAndHolly

AlexAndHolly New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a British citizen and my (absolutely perfect and gorgeous!) fiancee Holly is American. I want to move in with her sometime this summer, but the problem is I don't know how to go about that at the moment, because we plan to get married next summer (2008) and not right now. I know I could go in on a Visa Waiver this summer and get married but that's exactly what we DON'T want to do.

Therefore my question is this: is there any sort of visa/documentation/legal process/etc I can obtain which will allow me to stay in the US for a year or so until we can get married? I understand that waiting to get married is a luxury given our circumstances but it'd mean so much to us if we could. Could I get a job at a 7/11 or a gas station or something like that? Would I need the job before I went to the US or could I look for a job on my Visa Waiver?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Alex & Holly Louca

2. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    YOu could go to the US and look for a job once there, but for you to stay longer, it's either you get married (and your spouse applies for your spouse visa instead), or a company sponsors your work permit (which is your H-1 visa). The latter is a very hard option as millions of people (through their immigration lawyers) fight for their application to get through the door every October when the US opens the quota for H-1 visas. This door only opens for a few days as once the USCIS have their number of applications, that door is closed until the following year. So you see, you either get a big company to sponsor you to get that app in (coz they can afford fancy lawyers who have connections and all that), or you get in there and look for work in fast food or something and stay there illegally after your 90 days is up.

Or, just go there and visit her and stay your 90 days (DO NOT OVERSTAY AS THIS WILL LOOK BAD ON YOUR RECORD), and leave and then come back, until next year comes, and then get married.