Forum Open Bar

Forum of expats Open Bar: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN HomeSickNess Advice

Discussion in 'Open Bar' started by ztaylor, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ztaylor

ztaylor New Member

I have been in American for only a few months. I am trying to do well and am trying to fit in here. I feel lonely and am calling home daily. It’s not only expensive, but I feel like I am not letting go of my family and not enjoying it here as I should. Any advice to another expat?

2. SisterBunny

SisterBunny New Member

Don't Worry So Much

It is going to take time, just relax and know that you will feel homesick – try not to call your family so much. This will save you money and allow you time to enjoy the States. Just and FYI, I too was calling home a lot when I first got here, it takes time to adjust. Also, if you can’t seem to break that habit you should give www.onesuite.com a try – at least you won’t have to be concerned about the money being spent calling your family so much, you will just have to worry about being so attached to them!

Luck to you, if you need to talk more about it continue going on the boards, I have found great advice and good friends on a few expat boards. Try to go on one that is city specific.