Forum Open Bar

Forum of expats Open Bar: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Expat Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Open Bar' started by nefertiti2, Sep 13, 2011.

1. nefertiti2

nefertiti2 New Member

City:
    Abu Dhabi
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi!

I'm a 54 year old, male, British expat living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. I'm considering buying a UK registered Porsche Boxster 3.2 and driving it when I visit the UK; I'm allowed to visit for a maximum of 90 days in any one tax year. On average, these visits amount to 3 - 6 weeks a year and consequently I would cover a very low mileage. During my absence, my brother would care for the vehicle and would be required to drive it sparingly just to keep it "ticking over", so to speak. He currently drives an Audi TT 1.8. Would you know of anyone who offers Porsche insurance for a UK citizen who currently resides outside the UK? In addition, I know there are companies who insure visiting expats for approximately 90 days or more, but I've yet to find one that'll insure me for a Boxster. Under these circumstances, my brother would insure the car and I would be insured as a driver using a relative's car.

Any ideas or information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hmmm in theory you should have you car insurance covering for a limited amount of time abroad. For example I found that the AA insurance allows you to drive anywhere in the EU, and in several other European countries, with the level of cover you enjoy in the UK for a total of 90 days (during the 12 months of your policy):
    http://www.theaa.com/services/insurance ... broad.html

The International car insurance directory aims to highlight companies who offer international policy cover for owners driving abroad.
    You will find more information here: http://www.expertcardirectory.co.uk/driving-abroad.htm
    This is apparently especially dedicated to expats and international bodies.

3. Margaret31

Margaret31 New Member

City:
    ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi I am a 37y old male married moving to London from india soon.
    I checked som online quotes and it seems to be very expensive even if I buy a 10 yr old vw golf.
    I intend to get a uk license when I arrive, but will I be considered a new driver even though I have held a license in the us and India and have driven for close to 15 yrs

4. myernaL

myernaL New Member

City:
    Los Angeles
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    In the United States, almost all states require drivers to obtain a car insurance before they are allowed to drive their vehicles on the road. Aside from the fact that it is the law, getting car insurance is the best way to protect yourself and the property that you have a large investment in. But we must also consider insuring our self as a driver. Insurance is needed in 49 of the 50 states to be able to drive. One study by the Customer Federation of The United States, however, has found that the mandatory insurance is often much more costly when drivers have low income. Resource for this article:High insurance costs creating more uninsured drivers. According to recent reports for the Insurance Information Institute, uninsured drivers are 10 percent more likely to get into a vehicular accident with an insured driver.