Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Employment in France for spouse of EU Citizen

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by vlang, Jun 24, 2005.

1. vlang

vlang New Member

City:
    Germany
    Hi !
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am an American married to an Austrian, living in Germany, on the French border. As a spouse of an EU citizen, I have no problem working in Germany; however, I would like to now keep my residency in Germany and work just over the border in Strasbourg, FRANCE. Does anyone know if this is possible and what I would need to do to obtain my visa? :headscratch: Thanks so much!!!

Valerie

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    As married to a EU citizen, you have the same rights, so if your partner works, then you can work as well.

A lot of French (called transfrontaliers) or German people work accross the border as transborder workers. It's very common and you should not have difficulties, especially as France and Germany are part of the Schengen area.

3. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    You are right. If the husband works in France then she may be able to establish some Rights for work but if not that Right of Residence/Work applies only to her host State.

4. vlang

vlang New Member

City:
    Germany
    Thanks so much for the feedback. My husband works and lives in Germany. He does not plan on working in France. From what I understand, he would have to BOTH work and live in France in order for me to also have the OK to work in France :confused: Do you think if we had our residency in France, and he continued to work in Germany, I would be able to work in France??
    Thanks again!

5. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    The law for transborder workers is very specific, especially between France and Germany. I think that you should either ask information from the Consulate or directly with the company use to employ transborder workers. Anyway, as you were talking of Strasbourg, I remind you that this is one of the European main centre, so it should be rather easy to get the info.