Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Do Parents From Another Country Mean Anything?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by MissUK, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MissUK

MissUK New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Hello

as you can see this is my first post here (i have done a search on here but can't find any answers aswell as searching google and again nothing is coming up with information) and i'm just wondering if anybody can give me some advice or point me in the right direction because i'm completely lost as to where to start.

My partner is keen on moving to america - i know this isn't a quick and easy process and i know there is an awful lot to take into consideration from the advice i can find which isn't alot (if there is any helplines or websites that are available please feel free to reply with them, thank you!). We are both british (born here) and have british passports. My dad (he isn't on my birth certificate) though is american (from what i know he was born over there, was in the army there and then came over here again from what i have been told by family members and from what i can remember him telling me) because my dad is american, does that mean anything for me in reguards to it being an easier (not sure if 'easier' is the right word to use!) process to move from the uk to america?

I know my post was long and pretty confusing but if anybody has any advice or can point me in the right direction for advice i would be ever so greatful. Like i said i have searched on here and google (that is where i actually found this forum) and can't seem to find anything that answers my question.

Thank you in advance. X

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    If your father was American at the time of your birth, you might well be able to claim US citizenship even though I am not positive if that would help your partner in moving to US in any siginificant way. Thats just my guess. You can try reading through the below and contact them to get information specific to your case.

http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issu ... h_593.html

Good luck