Forum Departure

Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Costa Rica- airport departure tax

Discussion in 'Departure' started by Elizabeth66, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Elizabeth66

Elizabeth66 New Member

City:
    california
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    I'm bringing a group of 10 middle school students to Costa Rica next Wednesday for a one week trip. I'm a bit worried about carrying a lot of cash for the tips and airport departure tax, so I am wondering if I can pay the airport tax earlier. I read in older posts that you could pay with a Visa credit card, but then you get charged $10 extra per person and I didn't budget for that. I also read you could pay for it on-line but the website doesn't work. And I read that you could pay when you first fly in at the airport or at your hotel (Would the hotel charge for that?) Does anyone have any recent experience with this this could give me some guidance? Thank you very much!

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    This post is a duplicated from this one:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=2030631
    posted in March 2011 !!!! :evil:
    ... and posted from India! Spammer... :evil:

3. mikeden123

mikeden123 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,
    I read your statement.Sorry I don't have any idea about this matter.

4. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    relax ! :lol:

5. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    I am completely relaxed, don't you see that ????!!!!! :evil: :crazy: :twisted:

:cool:

6. abo28

abo28 New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    hi, what i would say about costa rica-airport departure tak, Just got back from San Jose Costa Rica, things have changed since I was here last. They have a nice new international terminal but I got to say they need signage telling a person what to do. Since we had our boarding passes we walked to security and was told we had to pay the departure tax first and have our airline stamp our boarding pass and had to walk all the way to the opposite end of the terminal. So in the future we know to do the following:

1. When entering the international terminal - look to your right there is a large desk that say "Depature Fee" (the exit fee was $26 US and they took Visa credit cards but we all had US cash). They will give you a receipt (hang on to this) and another form you needed to complete for your airline.

2. Go to your airline counter and they will check passport, etc and stamp your boarding pass

3. Go to security (all docs checked once again) and then get luggage checked/screened

Then you finally get to go to your boarding area.

Before you are allowed to board your plane then do a manual hand check of everyone's luggege because passagers from domestic flights can enter international boarding areas as well so make sure you give yourself plenty of time. They recommend 2-3 hours prior to departure and we now can see why.

While we were waiting to board, some how the departure fee counter lost one of our friends forms saying that she paid. So the airline rep had to take her passport and the departure fee receipt and walk all the way back to the other end of the terminal (through security) to proof the tax was paid and then walk all the way back!