Forum Departure

Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Cost of living in Berlin for 2 people in their 30's

Discussion in 'Departure' started by qz, Oct 24, 2007.

1. qz

qz New Member

I'm considering an offer by a German company to move from Canada to Berlin.

What's the cost of living in Berlin for 2 people in their 30's ?
    How much should I ask for (Gross & Monthly) ?
    What are some of the pitfalls I should look out for ?

A few facts: There is a possibility that my girlfriend won't be working.
    I will need to enter into the German tax system. We will need a car. I'm Canadian, she's German. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    We have a Cost of living calculator on Easy Expat. We do not have information on Berlin as we provide calculation for Frankfurt. However this tool is based on the UBS report where you can find further data, including Berlin.

3. qz

qz New Member

I appreciate the link. I'd already tried it out yesterday infact. But, since the tax rate between Canada and Germany is 20% different and it doesn't take this into account, I'm afraid it's not very useful.

In my own research I've seen that goods are numerically equivalent between the countries. That is, a $2 box of stuff will cost 2euro for the same stuff. Some quantities & quality varying of course. But apartments are 2500euro for a 2 room !! Wow! For $2500 I can get an entire house in Toronto. Maybe I have all I need, but more advice the better is my thinking.

4. RCG

RCG New Member

Living In:
    Argentina
    Nationality:
    Argentine (AR)
    Languages:
    ESPAÑOL
    Is that the standard of living, I mean the cost of living in this city is not very high, compared with other countries is Germany, a country of middle ground.
    I've been many times I went as a tourist, such as lodging trip was economic level and have visited many of the city with its beauty and history of culture.