Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Complicated marriage question - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by emmcarr927, May 1, 2012.

1. emmcarr927

emmcarr927 New Member

City:
    Hudson
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Español
    Hello,

My Polish fiancé and I (an American) are getting married in June in Denmark. I do not have any kind of visa for staying in the EU. My fiancé works at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland and lives in France. My question is: Once we are married, what steps do I need to take in order to get a residency permit... and exactly which country am I getting a permit for? Lastly, will I be required to return to the US before finalizing my status?

Thanks!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The embassy of the United States in Denmark offers complete information about marrying in Denmark:

Be lawfully present in Denmark
    Documentation showing present marital status, i.e. copy of your last U.S. tax return.
    If you live outside the U.S., present a valid residence permit from your country of residence
    Valid passport showing proof of entry into Denmark or into the Schengen area
    If you have been previously married, you must present your original divorce decree.

In order to get married in Copenhagen, you need to personally visit the Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice) at: Jarmers Plads 7, 1551 Copenhagen V. Borgerservice cannot be contacted by telephone. www.kk.dk If you are planning to get married in Copenhagen, but you are not yet in Denmark, you may contact the Copenhagen City Hall as follows: telephone: +45 33 66 33 66. E-mail: borgerservice@kk.dk

Non-residents pay a fee of 500 Danish Kroner (DKK) to get married in Denmark.

As to your other questions, where exactly are you settling? France? You could start with the Expat guide to Paris to give you in-depth information about moving to the city and the visa process. You will probably need to apply for the Single Permit Directive which allows immigrants who are legal residents of an EU country and those who are seeking residence permits to apply for a residence and work permit for that country through a single application process.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...