Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Canadian marrying an American

Discussion in 'USA' started by canadianlady3, May 15, 2012.

1. canadianlady3

canadianlady3 New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    My fiance and I have been together for nearly 5 years travelling back and forth for a few months at a time. We are both students and have been trying to figure out how we can get married. If I marry him while I am there on my next visit to the United states and then return to Canada to go to school will we have issues? I am not planning on moving there right now, but if we could get married and then get all our documents straight before moving there that would be alright. What do I do! There is no useful information on the goverment sites, as they probably dont want foriegners coming in. The only thing I have seen is the K-1 visa, but that is for people who want to bring their fiance to the states and have them work before they get married (that is the impression I got anyways). I might transfer schools and finish my degree in his state what problems are we going to run in if we elope!? help!!

What if instead of getting married in the united states we got married in Canada? would that make things easier?

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The Expat guide to New York & Montreal are a good place to start. They offer sections on visas which can provide you an overview of what it will take to marry & immigrate. Marrying in either country shouldn't be an issue. A visa is not required for entry, so you should be able to present:

ID (passport)
    proof of single status (tax forms, etc)
    fee

The specific requirements depend on where you want to marry. Look up the local government page in either the USA or Canada and they will provide the information.

As far as permanent status:

Canada - If you have an eligible spouse, partner, parent (including adoptive parent) or other family member who is a citizen of Canada or who holds permanent resident status, and who is willing to sponsor your application for permanent resident status, your chances of being admitted to Canada as a permanent resident are much greater.
    Application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/f ... M5444E.pdf)

USA - If you wish to remain in the United States permanently, you must file Form I -485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, commonly called a Green Card. You may file this form simultaneously with Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker for no additional fee. Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen (spouses, unmarried children under age 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older) Application

Hope this helps you figure out your situation. Congrats on the marriage! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. canadianlady3

canadianlady3 New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you very much! It is pretty overwhelming the ammount of work that has to be done!