Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN British Citizen Moving to UK with Turkish Wife

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Mikeyistanbul, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Mikeyistanbul

Mikeyistanbul New Member

Hi,

I'm a British citizen and have been living in Istanbul, Turkey for about 15 years. I met my wife about 6 years ago, we married 4 years ago and now have two children. My wife is a Turkish citizen.

We want to go and live in the UK but are unsure how to apply as I do not have a job there and we have no house there although we have some money saved.

Should we go (my wife has a tourist visa) then apply for permission for my wife to stay as soon as I have a job and we've rented a house? Or should we apply for residency from here, give my parents address for residence and show that we have money saved?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance,

Mike.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    You mentioned your wife has visit visa, for how long is it valid ?

If its valid for more than six months, you can travel to UK together and there she can apply for spouse visa. ( this is risky though )

If not ( and I would recommend ) then you apply for spouse visa in the nearest British embassy. You don't need to have a job but you will have to prove

1- You have enough money to support yourself and wife and kids without claiming any benefits.

2- You have appropriate accomodation available in the UK where you guys can live once you arrive.

( Even though these two are not as simple as they sound )

Spousa visa is issued for two years but once in UK, your wife can apply for Permanent Residence ( ILR ) straight away since you have been married for more than four years. She will just need to pass the 'Life in the UK test'.

Good luck

3. Mikeyistanbul

Mikeyistanbul New Member

Thank you very much for your reply Yousafzai - do you know how much money we need to have?

4. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    You won't find a specific amount mentioned anywhere. Just do your budgeting and see if you have enough money for all your expenses.
    Rent, council taxes, bills, food etc.

You should have enough money for all your and your family's expenses for six months to be on the safe side.

Good luck !

5. Mikeyistanbul

Mikeyistanbul New Member

Ok

Thanks a lot I'll work it out and submit it with the application