Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN An Australian needing visa to research in France

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by jpylu, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jpylu

jpylu New Member

I am an Australian passport-holder enrolled at an UK university (on an UK student visa). I need to go to Paris for 12-18 months to conduct research for my PhD thesis. The visa application is turning out more complicated than I had imagined, therefore I would be grateful if someone could please help me with the following questions:

1) My circumstance does not seem to fit any of the visa categories described on the Australian French Consulate website. I assume I cannot get a student visa as I am enrolled in the UK, and not in France. I also cannot get a researcher's visa as I will not be employed in France as a researcher. Does this mean the only type of visa I can apply for is a Long-Stay Without Work visa? (This visa seems to be the most complicated one because it takes the longest to process: minimum 2 months...) Can anyone tell me if I qualify for any special status visa seeing that I AM a student and I have a very simple reason for going to France?

2) With regards to the document that I need to supply to say where I will be living in France: I plan to look for a place AFTER I have arrived in Paris and therefore I cannot be sure at this moment where exactly I will be living for the long term. I was thinking of asking a friend in Paris to provide a letter for me to say that she will be my host while I am in France. However, in the letter, can she write that she will be my host UNTIL I have found my own place? Would the authorities find that too vague? As she is not a very close friend - I do not want her to feel as if she will be liable for my behaviour and whereabouts while I am in France. Therefore I thought maybe if that clause is inserted in the letter - she will be more willing to provide the letter for me.

3) I am desperate to find out about how I can get medical insurance in France! For the visa application - I need to provide document to say that I have medical coverage while in France. I do have private health insurance in Australia. I have not yet found out whether my policy covers for when I am abroad. However, if it does - does it mean that this will be sufficient and that I will not need to sign up for another policy in France? On the other hand, if my insurance in Australia does not cover my stay in France, where can I go to sign up for medical coverage in France? I am 26 y.o. and turning 27 soon. I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to handle this medical insurance issue!

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can help me in any way with the above questions! Many thanks!

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there,

I have no knowledge on many of these questions you have asked , but I am looking from other prospective entirely!

How you gonna support yourself for period of 1 year with no work?French authorities will ask,want proof of that,and if you satisfy that criteria ,everything else is easy.
    Do you have grant money from some company,university?Can they sort out that for you?Maybe they can do quicker.
    Your friend can write letter confirming you will be staying with her,even if you move out after few days into your own place.and insurance is very easy to find these days.

Regards

Triple H