Forum Ireland

Forum of expats in Ireland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American hopes to marry a Dane working in Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by zordys girl, Sep 17, 2005.

1. zordys girl

zordys girl Member

Hi,
    My Danish boyfriend and I have begun talking marriage, however, it has become quite complicated. Firstly, he's 29 and I'm 27. Our ideal plan would be for me to join him in Ireland (Dublin) as he finishes his contracted job and get married. That would be in a little over a year when I finish my degree in elementary education. He plans to remain with his job for approximately 2 and a half years more before returning to Denmark (Copenhagen) for a couple of years. We've both studied sites and read up on immigration policies and it is becoming more and more frustrating.
    My understanding is that we can get married, but I'll not be considered an Irish citizen. That's fine with me, so long as I'm able to work. Would marriage to an EU citizen give me the required clearance to seek work in Ireland? I simply can't stomach the idea of not being able to work simply for choosing to live in a different country.
    Also, can anyone foresee any difficulties in this arrangement for when we choose to move back to Denmark? I understand that we'll have to fill a number of requirements such as living in the same residence (which is really kind of the point), the housing requirement, support requirement, and the economic gaurantee (I get the feeling of being bought and paid for here). I do understand we will be albe to forego the attachment requirement as he's been a citizen more than 28 years. It's also my understanding that I will be able to apply to have my degree recognized and possibly be able to apply for a teaching position in one of the international schools, at least until I have a command of the language.
    Anyone having any suggestions, criteria, or a better understanding of the laws here, please share. I have found contradictory information from Ireland regarding the right to work, which I insist on doing. I also want to make sure that he and I will be able to go on to Denmark together, or should I resign myself to waiting behind for red tape to be cut?
    Gotta love the internet and what it did to the world of international relations, dating, family, and what not...
    Thanks for your time and any information.

2. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Zordy,

Shouldn't be a problem. Soon as you are married in Ireland just forward your marriage certificate and husband's salary slip and passport to the Irish Gardai (police). You would be issued with a Stamp 4 sticker for EU spouses of non-EU nationals which entitles you to work. This process shouldn't take more than 6 months.

When returning back to Denmark you should be able to take advantage of the EU Court Judgement known as Surinder Singh, to bypass Danish Immigration rules and still receive protection of EU Law. There are conditions attached though.

However you need to send me mail on Surinder Singh for more explanation

3. zordys girl

zordys girl Member

Coyan,
    Thank you so much for the help! 6 months wait for work it rather disappointing but it does mean that I WILL be able to work AND without the restrictions. :) I think, that being the case, we can definitely work with that.
    I will google some information on Surinder Singh as well as discuss it with my fella. Any information you can give me on it would be very well appreciated.
    Also, I have read some of the other posts in the form and wondered about the EEA family permit. Is this an option for us that might make things easier? Most of the posts I have read involving it are for people of the UK, so I don't know if it would be a viable option.
    Again, thank you so much for your time :)

4. zordys girl

zordys girl Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh! :idea: See, this is why we should google before we ask. I see that the Surinder Singh is directly related to the EEA family permit. Yes, please, Coyan (or anyone)! Tell me more!
    I am so excited now! I'm so glad I found this board! :D

5. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    You need not wait for 6 months. As the case is I'm currently working on an Irish EEA case which is currently going to 2 months with the Gardai. To make this process simple after the marriage, you can just take a short trip back to the US and apply for the EEA Permit at the Irish Embassy . This shouldn't take more than a week and with the permit you can start working soon on your return back to Ireland .