Forum Departure

Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American citizens moving to Belgium

Discussion in 'Departure' started by pschatjes, Feb 14, 2011.

1. pschatjes

pschatjes New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello,

My husband (Belgian citizen) and I (American citizen) with our kids (American citizens) are residents of U.S. But we would like to move back to Belgium. I understand that our best hope is to acquire the Family reunification visa for myself and the kids as the duration of stay is going to be more than 90 days. But first of all we are not sure if the move is going to be permanent or we may move back to the US after a year or so. Also, as per the visa requirements we are required to show proof of income and insurance and stuff like that which we do not have at this time. We do however have sufficient funds to support ourselves while my husband finds a job there, which in turn will give us the insurance benefits and so on.

We are fearful that our visas might get rejected because we can't show proof of income. Also we fear that we may spend a lot of money on being insured by a insurance company.

So my question is: Is it better if we apply for the visas here in the USA or we should go there and then once my husband finds a job apply for the visas for my kids and me?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    I wouldn't recommend moving your whole family to another country if your husband doesn't have job there and specially if you are not even sure if you would stay there. Talking about money, thats obviously very risky. I wouldn't spend my savings on mere 'experimenting'. It will affect the children's schooling too - if they are of the age.

As far as I can advise, the best ( in terms of immigration ) would be if your husband travels to Belgium first, gets a job and then the rest of you can join. Needless to say it will be cheaper too.

Good luck

3. pschatjes

pschatjes New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks Yousafzai for your reply!

Has anyone traveled to BE and then applied for their spousal visa or long term stay visa??
    How did it go? Was it harder to get it done?

Thanks a bunch!

4. pschatjes

pschatjes New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I just found the answer to my question:

Yes Belgium does allow one to apply for residency permit once in Belgium:
    See link http://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/service ... th_spouse/

"B. Applying for a family reunification visa in Belgium

If you do not require a type C visa to stay in Belgium for less than three months, you may deal directly with the Belgian municipal authorities. You must request a residence card for relatives of EU citizens (or a registration declaration if you are also an EU citizen) from the municipal authorities within three months of your arrival in Belgium.

Non-compliance with this requirement may incur an administrative fine of up to €200.

You will then have another three months to provide the municipal authorities with the relevant documentation proving that you satisfy the criteria for family reunification."