Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN A sticky situation concerning indefinate leave to remain.

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by joy1989, Sep 21, 2007.

1. joy1989

joy1989 New Member

I came to the UK in December of 1998 at the age of 9. My visa expired in April 2000 however me (and my brother) overstayed. my parents made an application for ILR for us as 'dependants of settled parents' in 2003, by then I was 13/14. The first appplication was rejected consequently we were told that we have 28days to leave the country. However we (my parents)made an appeal on the European human right convention Article 8, which is pending till today in the year 2007.I recently turned 18 in Aug of this year so now I am considered as an adult.
    Because of my situation I am not permitted to work , I am considered as an international student to the universities I have applied to, eventhough I have spent over 8 years in the UK. I am in a limbo.
    How can I change my status( if possible) to make me a legal working immigrant whilst waiting for a decision for my ILR from the Home Office? Perhaps applying for a two year visa or work permit?

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    The immigration rule is that you must spend 4 years legally in UK to apply for an ILR. As you have spend a longer time than that, I am sure you are eligibale for an ILR. However, in your case, its not very simple. If I were you, I would go to a solocitor and seek their help. One thing I am sure about is that you do qualify for an ILR but you need to see an immigration advisor on how you should proceed with your application.
    Good luck !